'They're Serious and They're Not Going to Back Down': Archbishop Cordileone, Defender of Marriage, Heads to San Francisco
rebuilding the Church. When his papacy is recounted, his apostolic work will be credited with having re-secured the Catholic Church in a time of trial so that she could inaugurate a new missionary age for the Third Millennium.
I believe that the new Archbishop of Sand Francisco was chosen precisely because he is up to this challenge. Much has been made of the Archbishops defense of true marriage and his fidelity to the unbroken and unchangeable teaching of the Catholic Church. His defense of the fundamental human rights to life and religious liberty are often presented in certain media sources as causing some kind of disruption in San Francisco.
This slanted coverage of the Archbishop should not come as a surprise to those who have been praying for the Catholic Church to remain faithful. The adversaries of the authentic message of liberation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, are feeling threatened.
He will be installed on October 4th, the Feast of Saint Francis, the patron of San Francisco. Francis is the Saint who heard the words of the Lord "Go, and Rebuild my Church" at a time in the last millennium when the Church was desperately in need of renewal. That renewal was necessary so that she could engage the age with the Gospel! So it is in our time.
We should take great comfort that this appointment, like we did at the selection of Cardinal Dolan to lead the faithful in New York - and his election by his brothers to lead the entire body of US Bishops. This is another sign that the Lord is using this wonderful Pope profoundly as the Church continues her mission in this critical hour.
Similarly, the placement of Archbishop Chaput, Archbishop Gomez, Archbishop Lori, ArchBishop Wenske, Bishop James Conley... and the list goes on, should be a great source of encouragement. They are signs of the gift the Lord gave to us when he gave us the leadership of Pope Benedict XVI.
In continuity with the 2,000 year teaching of the Catholic Church and the proper understanding of the Second Vatican Council, Pope Benedict XVI is re-securing the foundation stones of the Catholic Church in the United States. His selection of Bishops proceeds from his conviction that the Church - and the message of authentic and true human progress which she offers the world - is just what is needed in this critical hour in human history.
This task of re- building the Church has not been easy. It never is. And, it will probably get even more difficult. The old adage is true; it always seems darkest before the dawn. Those who wanted to try to change the teaching and doctrine of the Catholic Church are deeply disappointed.
However, for all who hunger for a vibrant, faithful, dynamically orthodox Catholic Church, the source of all truth, the God who is Truth, has once again been true to his promise to Peter, "upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against her". (Matt. 16:18) Archbishop Cordileone is another foundation stone as Benedict the Builder fortifies the Church for a New Missionary Age.
We ask our readers around the globe to pray for Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone as the time of his installation draws near. What a Pope we have in benedict XVI! What an amazing time we live in. Church history is being written daily as the new missionary age of the Third Christian Millennium unfolds.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: ArchBishop Salvatore Cordileone, Prop 8, Marriage, gay marriage, true marriage, pro-life, religious freedom, Pope Benedict XVI, San Francisco, Deacon Keith Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?