This is how China overtook the USA - look at these images of Port Yangshan
This is just one port, of the many in Shanghai...
Below are images of the Chinese port of Yangshan in Shanghai. The staggering quantity of containers shows just how much Chinese-manufactured merchandise the world consumes, with much of it headed to the United States.
The facility itself stretches about three square miles, and is always filled with containers as busy cranes unload empty containers from ships, then stacks them high on the decks of the world's largest container vessels.
Massive engineering projects such as these are making China an increasingly powerful trading nation, one whose hopes include displacing the dollar as the world's reserve currency.
Despite its massive size, the port of Yangshan is just one port in Shangai, and Shanghai is just one city in China. As impressive as this port appears, it should be understood that this just represents a fraction of China's overseas trade.
China also ships material overland and by air.
And the world keeps consuming.
The Port of Yangshan handles about 8,000 containers per day on average.
The facility spans over three square miles.
Yangshan is the world's busiest port.
The facility is a symbol of Chinese determination to become the world leader in global trade.
The facility sits at the mouth of the Yangtze river.
Ships can deliver cargo downriver for loading onto seafaring container ships.
A view of one set of the gargantuan cranes that stay busy, 24-7.
The cranes, arrayed as soldiers at attention, in a moment of rare quiet.
Rain or shine, the loading continues.
Most of the cargo is USA bound.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- For the world to see: Afghan mother shows acid attack burns
- 'Cookii monster' Lethal pink jellyfish rediscovered 100 YEARS after off Australian coast
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?