7.1 quake in Japan, near Fukushima, tsunami warning issued
A major quake has struck Japan.
A major 7.6 quake is being reported in Japan off the coast of the Fukushima prefecture.
A tsunami warning has been issued.
[UPDATED 11:17 a.m. PDT]
The quake appears to have been downgraded from a preliminary magnitude of 7.6 to 7.3. The Fukushima Daichii power plant has been evacuated, but local sources say there appears to be no significant damage.
A local tsunami warning has been issued for Honshu, but not for the rest of the islands or the Pacific.
It appears that the quake, although powerful, may have done minimal damage.
Tsunami warning is just for 3 feet of height and any tsunami is not expected to cause significant disruption.
[UPDATED 11:47 a.m. PDT]
There does not appear to be any major damage or casualties associated with this quake. Catholic Online will publish new stories on this event as developments are reported. This concludes our breaking news coverage for this event.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- For the world to see: Afghan mother shows acid attack burns
- 'Cookii monster' Lethal pink jellyfish rediscovered 100 YEARS after off Australian coast
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?