NAUGHTY TEENS: When an adolescent is blocked from an Internet site - it's usually pornographic
Web security firm Kapersky one in four blocks by teens on the Internet are seeking filth
Teenagers are naturally curious about sex. To some it comes as little surprise that one in four kids who try to get around parental controls on Internet use are looking for pornography. Freely available pornography is everywhere online, and family advocates are calling for a greater understanding of the damage it can have on children.
Of nearly 30,000 blocked searches, 23.3 percent were for porn sites, 19.6 per cent for online stores and 16.1 per cent for social networking sites.
The parent-installed software sends data to the company each time it blocks access to a malicious site if the customer has not opted out of supplying such information.
Of nearly 30,000 blocked searches, 23.3 percent were for porn sites, 19.6 per cent for online stores and 16.1 per cent for social networking sites. The software also blocks online gaming sites at 5.9 percent, gambling sites at 3.0 percent and information about weapons at 2.9 percent.
Kaspersky on its international customer base recorded more than 25 million attempts to access online porn globally in the last month alone.
In the meantime, politicians and medical professionals in the U.K. have discussed the increasing harm unbridled access to porn is having on teenagers.
John Woods, a consultant psychotherapist at the NHS Portman Clinic in London who treats young men and women addicted to porn, related the story about a 16-year-old patient who sexually assaulted his younger next-door neighbor after becoming addicted to porn.
"All day he was thinking about the imagery," he said. "He felt he was losing touch with reality. The relief only came when he switched his computer back on again."
Gail Dines, professor of sociology and women's studies at Wheelock College in Boston, said: "Asking a family to deal with the porn use of their child is like telling a mother that their children should not breathe in pollution."
According to the Sexual recovery Institute, which treats sexual misbehaviors, "Pornography addiction has its roots in the viewing and hoarding of magazine and video pornography. However, these days porn addicts have new and frighteningly powerful enablers: the Internet, Smartphones, and social media.
"Porn addicts today can feed their Internet porn problem by viewing online still photos, downloading porn videos, or by having webcam sex. Some use the Internet to simply view images while others eventually end up using the Internet as a vehicle to meet with anonymous sexual partners. The 'new media' of Smartphone's offers some addicts instant phone-based porn downloads along with wherever/whenever live video streaming of sexual activities, while Facebook can leave some cruising images and profiles for hours on end."
Some signs of porn addiction can include:
-- An inability to stop the behavior(s) and porn use despite previous attempts to do so-- Anger or irritability if asked to stop-- Hiding or attempting to keep secret all or a part of the porn use-- Living a double or secret life related to porn-- Continuing the behavior despite obvious consequences, such as a relationship or job loss-- Getting lost in the problem porn use (i.e., spending more time than intended, losing time)
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Participating in the Resurrection Now: Pope Francis On Our Resurrection From the Dead
- El Papa: Si las palabras cristianas son palabras sin Cristo se recorre
- Christians of East and West Must Give Common Witness: Pope Francis Writes Patriarch Bartholomew
- Turkish churches get radical makeover - by being turned in to mosques
- Francis Xavier, Pope Francis and the Missionary Transformation of the Catholic Church
- Domestic abuse thrust into open in Greece
- Papa Francisco expresa su oración y solidaridad por víctimas de tragedia en Escocia
- Best-selling author links Jack the Ripper to Royal Family
- Con referéndum Croacia protege matrimonio entre hombre y mujer
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?