AU CONTRAIRE! Economic crisis has been 'pulling European public opinion apart'
France in particular is tiring of dashed promises of the European Union
Strong-headed and opinionated, the French have their likes and dislikes: They dislike Americans, but like our music and films; they like, smoking and garlic; and they supposedly love the European Union. However -a recent poll by the Pew Research Center finds that their love affair with the EU may be fading.
The French are unhappy with the EU job market, lack of leadership, institutions and especially the economy.
Often portrayed as Europe's leading tandem, the French and Germans are not as solidified as they used to be. The prolonged economic crisis has been "pulling European public opinion apart, separating the French from the Germans and the Germans from everyone else," the report says, calling the European Union "The New Sick Man of Europe."
The French are unhappy with the EU job market, lack of leadership, institutions and especially the economy. Seventy-seven percent of French people believe that European economic integration has made things worse for France, in an increase of 14 points from last year.
"Most of [the report] seems blindingly obvious," Tim Judah, writing for Bloomberg news says.
"When the economy is in bad shape, people are in a bad mood-and in this case after five years of bad economic news, Europeans are in a terrible mood," he said.
The French do have a thing for the euro, with 63 percent of French people wanting to keep the common currency, so it appears that the French aren't quite ready to say "au revoir" to Europe just yet.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Despite push for gender equality - Nordic countries the worst in violence against women
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?