The Papal Conclave: Day 1 Schedule
Will the New Pope Be Elected Today?
Catholic Online will be posting updates throughout the day if there is any breaking news, especially if white smoke is seen arising from about St. Peter's in the mid to late afternoon!
The Sistine Chapel where the cardinals will enter at 11.30 am EDT to take their oath of secrecy and prepare for the first ballot in the afternoon.
The cardinals of the Church have already celebrated Mass in St. Peter's Basilica and have returned their Vatican hotel to prepare for the first meeting, and first vote, of the conclave in the historic Sistine Chapel starting at 1045am EDT.
We at Catholic Online will be posting updates throughout the day if there is any breaking news, especially if white smoke is seen arising from about St. Peter's in the mid to late afternoon!
It's not likely we will have a new pontiff today, but prognostications all go out the window when the Holy Spirit takes charge of the proceedings.
We recommend you watch the live coverage on EWTN TV or listen on your local EWTN radio station.
Fox News will also be broadcasting regular reports with Father Jonathan Morris.
5.00am to 6.45am EDT (10am to 11:45am Vatican time): Cardinals attend Mass in St Peter's Basilica, then return to their Vatican hotel.
10:45am EDT (3:45pm Vatican time): Cardinals travel from their hotel to the Apostolic Palace.
11:30am EDT (4:30pm Vatican time: Procession from the Pauline Chapel into the Sistine Chapel.
11:45am to 3pm EDT (4:4pm to 8 pm Vatican time): Each cardinal takes an oath, most likely followed by the first vote. If the vote yields a new pope, white smoke will emerge from the chimney; if not the smoke will be black.
3.00pm EDT (8pm Vatican time): Cardinals pray in the Sistine Chapel.
3.30pm (8:30pm Vatican time): Cardinals return to their hotel.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: day 1, papal conclave, white smoke, schedule, Deal W. Hudson, Deacon Keith Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pentecostal Pope Calls Ecclesial Movements and the Whole Church to Newness, Unity and Mission
- Historic Meeting between Pope Francis and Coptic Patriarch, Tawadros II, Fosters Christian Unity
- Pope Francis Shakes up the Ambassadors Meeting and Addresses Economic Issues
- AU CONTRAIRE! Economic crisis has been 'pulling European public opinion apart'
- Pope Calls Whole Church to Encounter Jesus Christ Personally Through the Holy Spirit
- France ponder one percent 'Internet tax' to fund domestic computer production
- Pope Francis Canonizes 802 Saints: 800 Martyrs of Otranto and Two Latin American Foundresses
- Growth in Number of Catholics Worldwide, Along with Priests and Deacons
- Scientists confirm that Roman Empire was destroyed by plague
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?