Countdown to the Conclave, Day 4: The New York Times and Hans Kung
The mind of the Church developed instead through the faith and work of Joseph Ratzinger and Karol Wojtyla, with assists from theologians such as Hans Urs von Balthasar, Henri du Lubac and their Communio circle, along with Americans such as Prof. Germain Grisez, Prof. David Schindler, and Cardinal Avery Dulles.
Whoever walks out of the doors onto the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica next week, or the following, will not be a disciple, even secretly, of Hans Kung. His legacy, if is there is such a thing, is gradually dying out with the retirement, one-by-one, of the tenured professors of theology in our nation's Catholic universities. Yes, there are other alien ideologies alive and well among the young generation of Catholic academics, but the roots of genuine Catholic theology have been re-nourished over the last two pontificates and new growth is already in evidence, e.g., the John Paul II Institute at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC.
The next pope will not only continue that true aggiornamento but will be the grateful recipient of how John Paul II and Benedict XVI won the war of ideas within the Church, a conflict initiated by none other than Prof. Hans Kung.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: hans kung, new york times, bill donohue, conclave, benedict xvi,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Pope Francis Adds Name of St Joseph to Every Mass in the Eucharistic Prayer: What Does it Mean?
- St. John Paul II: Reliable Reports Affirm Second Miracle, Canonization This Year
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Francis Preaches on the Beatitudes, the Holy Spirit and the Law of True Freedom
- Brother Benedict: Pope Emeritus Lives as a Monk in Prayer, Continuing the Work of the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?