Chávez returns to Venezuela in ailing health
President suffers from respiratory issues after cancer surgery in Cuba
Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez has returned to Venezuela after undergoing cancer surgery in Cuba. The ailing leader still suffers from respiratory problems in his two-year battle with cancer. Recent news from the Venezuelan government regarding the leader's health has been uniformly somber.
Photos released last week show Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in his Havana hospital bed, flanked by his two daughters, have been pored over by conspiracy theorists.
According to the statement, Chávez is being treated in a Caracas military hospital, and was in touch with family members and friends, along with his political team and his medical staff. "The president holds firm to Christ, with the maximum desire to live," the communiqué said.
The 58-year-old Venezuelan leader has governed the South American nation for 14 years. He has yet to be sworn in for a new six-year term following his re-election in October. The ceremony was supposed to take place last month, but the National Assembly agreed to postpone the inauguration because of his medical condition.
There is widespread speculation that Chávez might be sworn in at his hospital bed this weekend, perhaps to relinquish power.
Photos released last week that show Chávez in his Havana hospital bed, flanked by his two daughters, have been pored over by conspiracy theorists.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Americas News
- Leftists protest privatization of oil in Mexico
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize the sale of marijuana
- Argentina: Ante violencia por conflicto policial, Arzobispo alienta verdad y justicia social
- Estado de Coahuila en México defiende la vida y rechaza el aborto
- Cuba: Mientras Obama saluda a Raúl Castro, policías agreden a miembros del MCL
- Tras brutal atentado, Iglesia en Colombia pide a FARC cese al fuego definitivo
- Sebastián Piñeira: 'Lo correcto y sabio' es defender la vida y oponerse al aborto
- Fútbol: Cardenal Cipriani y Parma de Italia juntos en pro de niños pobres de Manchay
- The evil pit of despair that awaits illegal immigrants deported to Tijuana
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?