Netanyahu: Centrifuges in Iran could speed up development of nuclear weapons
Israeli Prime Minister says Iran's 'nuclear weapons program continues unabated'
New centrifuges in Iran, ostensibly for its uranium enrichment program, could cut the time by a third needed to create a nuclear bomb. That's the latest news that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shared with American Jewish leaders this week.
Netanyahu gave a rough deadline of summer this year as the date which Iran could have enough highly enriched material to produce a single nuclear bomb in a speech to the U.N. General Assembly late last year.
The movie is seen by many in the world community of Iran's defiance of international demands. There had been calls to scale back Iran's uranium enrichment program which Tehran says is for civilian purposes. The material produced could also be used for atomic bombs.
Netanyahu's words came ahead of a planned visit to Israel next month by President Barack Obama.
"Iran's ... nuclear weapons program continues unabated ... I drew a line at the U.N. last time I was there," Netanyahu said. "They haven't crossed that line but what they are doing is to shorten the time that it will take them to cross that line and the way they are (doing it) is by putting in new, faster centrifuges that cut the time by one third."
Netanyahu gave a rough deadline of summer this year as the date which Iran could have enough highly enriched material to produce a single nuclear bomb in a speech to the U.N. General Assembly late last year. He now says that world powers must put more pressure on Tehran "for the interests of peace and security.
"You have to upgrade the sanctions and they have to know that if the sanctions and diplomacy fail, they will face a credible military threat. That's essential. Nothing else will do the job, and it's getting closer," he said.
Iran may have resumed converting small amounts of its higher-grade enriched uranium into reactor fuel, thereby slowing a growth in stockpiles that could be used to make weapons.
Obama plans to visit Israel, the West Bank and Jordan this spring with no exact dates for the trip. It will be Obama's first trip to Israel since taking office.
Netanyahu, who has five more weeks to complete forming his new coalition, said that Iran would top his administration's agenda.
Israel's Channel 10 television cited unnamed sources in Washington last week saying Obama's visit to Israel would start on March 20, by when Netanyahu's new government should be in place.
Some theorize that Obama has decided to visit Israel before Netanyahu's summer deadline to caution him against any go-it-alone attack against Iran's nuclear facilities.
© 2013, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?