Large, powerful quakes, Tsunami, washes over hapless Santa Cruz island
Island is situated along the Ring of Fire.
An astounding swarm of large-magnitude earthquakes have struck the Solomon Islands over the past week, including an 8.0 which created a three foot tsunami that wiped out several island villages and killed residents. The swarm of quakes continues with many aftershocks of 6.0 and greater.
Nine bodies have been recovered in the aftermath and several people remain missing.
The low-lying islands are especially vulnerable to tsunamis.
What makes the quakes in the Solomon's so unusual is the high number of powerful aftershocks which keep hitting the islands. The aftershocks are complicating relief efforts and cracks in roads and runways create safety concerns for aircraft delivering aid personnel and supplies. Several aid flights have been delayed because of aftershocks.
The Solomon Islands have the blessing, and the curse, of being situated along the Ring of Fire, a tectonic boundary that surrounds the perimeter of the Pacific Ocean. Tectonic movements along the boundary have given rise to the Solomon's in the first place and create fertile land for growing crops, which sustain life on the islands.
However, places situated along the boundary from the South Pacific to Japan and the Americas also suffer from periodic, powerful earthquakes that can sometimes spawn tsunamis.
These quakes occur as the various continental plates surrounding the Pacific Plate jostle and grind about, moving at the speed of a few inches per year, on average. The movement does not happen constantly, but rather in spurts and is marked by earthquakes, Most such quakes are small, and hardly felt, but occasionally larger movements occur spawning larger quakes.
Aftershocks will likely continue to strike to Solomon's for months to come, but will slowly diminish in frequency and power over time.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- For the world to see: Afghan mother shows acid attack burns
- 'Cookii monster' Lethal pink jellyfish rediscovered 100 YEARS after off Australian coast
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?