Large, powerful quakes, Tsunami, washes over hapless Santa Cruz island
Island is situated along the Ring of Fire.
An astounding swarm of large-magnitude earthquakes have struck the Solomon Islands over the past week, including an 8.0 which created a three foot tsunami that wiped out several island villages and killed residents. The swarm of quakes continues with many aftershocks of 6.0 and greater.
A digital seismograph reading shows the 8.0 quake which struck Santa Cruz island on Wednesday.
Nine bodies have been recovered in the aftermath and several people remain missing.
The low-lying islands are especially vulnerable to tsunamis.
What makes the quakes in the Solomon's so unusual is the high number of powerful aftershocks which keep hitting the islands. The aftershocks are complicating relief efforts and cracks in roads and runways create safety concerns for aircraft delivering aid personnel and supplies. Several aid flights have been delayed because of aftershocks.
The Solomon Islands have the blessing, and the curse, of being situated along the Ring of Fire, a tectonic boundary that surrounds the perimeter of the Pacific Ocean. Tectonic movements along the boundary have given rise to the Solomon's in the first place and create fertile land for growing crops, which sustain life on the islands.
However, places situated along the boundary from the South Pacific to Japan and the Americas also suffer from periodic, powerful earthquakes that can sometimes spawn tsunamis.
These quakes occur as the various continental plates surrounding the Pacific Plate jostle and grind about, moving at the speed of a few inches per year, on average. The movement does not happen constantly, but rather in spurts and is marked by earthquakes, Most such quakes are small, and hardly felt, but occasionally larger movements occur spawning larger quakes.
Aftershocks will likely continue to strike to Solomon's for months to come, but will slowly diminish in frequency and power over time.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Santa Cruz Island, quakes, ring of fire, aftershocks, tsunami
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Chinese hackers gained valuable information in Google breech years ago
- Savage and Deadly, Cyclone Mahasen batters Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, moves into India
- Indian families go to drastic measures to protect daughters from rape
- Organ Trafficking: Indian family says their young daughter was killed for organ harvesting
- NK's Kim Jong-Un appoints THIRD army chief in less than two years
- Astonishing miracle in the heinous Bangladesh building collapse: 'God is so merciful!'
- Children as young as five years old forced to work in India's coal mines
- China deals major financial blow to Kim Jong Un
- Five killed in sharp, violent volcanic eruption in the Philippines
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?