Al Jazeera invades US thanks to Al Gore, Time Warner rebels. Obama taxes to leave Gore with just change
Timne Warner drops Current TV over deal.
Al Jazeera is coming to America, with plans to reach at least 40 million households. The Qatar-based news network has bought out Current TV, which was founded in part by Al Gore in 2005. The deal is estimated to be worth $500 million.
An unnamed person reportedly close to the deal, has leaked to The New York Times that the payday for Gore is around $100 million.
Sources close to Gore also indicated that Gore wanted the deal to close before the inevitable Jan. 1 tax increases, but this did not happen until Jan 2. It seems even the most legendary liberals don't like paying taxes either.
Meanwhile, reaction in the U.S. has been lukewarm. At least one cable provider, Time Warner, has announced that it will not carry Al Jazeera America, as it will be named. In addition, Time Warner said they are dropping Current TV from their lineup as "quickly as possible" because of the deal.
Al Jazeera likely selected Current TV as a means of penetrating the U.S. market since Current TV, designed to be a liberal mouthpiece, was overrun by MSNBC in that endeavor. With its value to consumers and investors slipping, it was ripe for buyout.
Current TV has suffered from poor viewership ever since it went live.
Without this acquisition, Al Jazeera has only been able to reach around 7 million U.S. consumers.
Al Jazeera has also faced criticism from a variety of directions, which makes the publication, and the deal, suspect to many in the U.S. For example, in 2010, Wikileaks cables revealed that Al Jazeera had close connections to the CIA. Al Jazeera's director resigned over the disclosed connections.
Al Jazeera has also been accused of promoting the Arab Spring revolutions, which have removed despots only to replace them with Islamic parliaments hostile to Israel. President Obama has not been a particularly vocal supporter of the Jewish state.
However, Al Gore needn't care much about an Islamic-friendly news publication coming to America, after all he should have around $60 million left to spend once Obama takes his cut.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?