Al Jazeera invades US thanks to Al Gore, Time Warner rebels. Obama taxes to leave Gore with just change
Timne Warner drops Current TV over deal.
Al Jazeera is coming to America, with plans to reach at least 40 million households. The Qatar-based news network has bought out Current TV, which was founded in part by Al Gore in 2005. The deal is estimated to be worth $500 million.
An unnamed person reportedly close to the deal, has leaked to The New York Times that the payday for Gore is around $100 million.
Sources close to Gore also indicated that Gore wanted the deal to close before the inevitable Jan. 1 tax increases, but this did not happen until Jan 2. It seems even the most legendary liberals don't like paying taxes either.
Meanwhile, reaction in the U.S. has been lukewarm. At least one cable provider, Time Warner, has announced that it will not carry Al Jazeera America, as it will be named. In addition, Time Warner said they are dropping Current TV from their lineup as "quickly as possible" because of the deal.
Al Jazeera likely selected Current TV as a means of penetrating the U.S. market since Current TV, designed to be a liberal mouthpiece, was overrun by MSNBC in that endeavor. With its value to consumers and investors slipping, it was ripe for buyout.
Current TV has suffered from poor viewership ever since it went live.
Without this acquisition, Al Jazeera has only been able to reach around 7 million U.S. consumers.
Al Jazeera has also faced criticism from a variety of directions, which makes the publication, and the deal, suspect to many in the U.S. For example, in 2010, Wikileaks cables revealed that Al Jazeera had close connections to the CIA. Al Jazeera's director resigned over the disclosed connections.
Al Jazeera has also been accused of promoting the Arab Spring revolutions, which have removed despots only to replace them with Islamic parliaments hostile to Israel. President Obama has not been a particularly vocal supporter of the Jewish state.
However, Al Gore needn't care much about an Islamic-friendly news publication coming to America, after all he should have around $60 million left to spend once Obama takes his cut.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- Amazing Stone Age masks go on display in Jerusalem
- 3,300 year old Selfie? Silver earrings from Biblical era discovered in northern Israel
- Syria to replace Afghanistan as nation with highest refugee population
- New film draws attention to plight of Christians in the Middle East
- Latest death toll in Syrian civil war: More than 140,000
- Barrel bombs used in Aleppo send Syrians fleeing for their lives
- Only Catholic Church appears able to aid starving population of Homs, Syria
- Demolition of Palestinian homes spikes on eve peace negotiations
- What's Really Behind the Persecution of Christians in the Middle East?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?