'Monsignor 007' imposes new security measures at the Vatican
New measures are designed to improve security, control flow of documents.
You might think of him as "just the copy guy" but the Vatican's copy guy actually has a different handle: "Monsignor 007." Why the codename? That's because Mitja Leskovar, the Slovenian priest who oversees photocopies of sensitive Vatican documents, is also responsible for a sweeping series of new security measures.
Vatican security is getting an upgrade after nearly five centuries.
Monsignor 007, or properly known as Mitja Leskovar, is a Slovenian priest who grew up under communism in Yugoslavia. His present duties include supervising requests for copies of confidential documents within Vatican City. He is also supervising changes to security protocols within the Vatican.
Among the changes are microchipped smart cards which restrict and monitor access to important rooms and facilities. The papal apartments are now off limits to all but a few strictly authorized individuals, and supervisors will now be able to monitor when their employees clock in and out of work.
Thousands of staff within the Vatican are expected to be affected by the new measures.
The Vatican, along with many other high-profile institutions, has been targeted by the media as well as others who wish to the do ancient institution harm or to cause scandal. The new security measures are expected to reduce any chance of that happening.
Although no great institution can ever be kept entirely free of bad individuals and the embarrassment of their actions, taking reasonable steps to ensure the likelihood remains minimal is the next logical step for the Church.
All espionage and leaks aside, the Church remains a venerable and ancient institution, every bit as unshakable as when it was established by Christ nearly two millennia ago.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Monsignor 007, Vatican, security, Vatileaks
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Pope Francis Adds Name of St Joseph to Every Mass in the Eucharistic Prayer: What Does it Mean?
- St. John Paul II: Reliable Reports Affirm Second Miracle, Canonization This Year
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Francis Preaches on the Beatitudes, the Holy Spirit and the Law of True Freedom
- Brother Benedict: Pope Emeritus Lives as a Monk in Prayer, Continuing the Work of the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?