Follow a 'live war' on Twitter which is now an 'instrument of WAR'
IDF tweeted success of Jabari assassination.
If you like war, then you're going to love Twitter. Israel and Hamas have engaged in a conflict in cyberspace that in some ways parallels the actual conflict going on outside. Both the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) and Hamas are live tweeting the war, as it happens.
This may be the first time in recorded history that a full-scale military conflict has been tweeted in real time. Now interested bystanders can literally get live updates about the war during their morning commute, throughout their workday, and even as they use the restroom.
Each side something happens, a tweet is posted. For example:
Alqassam Brigades @AlqassamBrigade #Israel's military still targeting civilians in #Gaza kills a child and fourty others #hamas #GazaUnderAttack #Egypt
And this from the IDF:
IDF @IDFSpokesperson We recommend that no Hamas operatives, whether low level or senior leaders, show their faces above ground in the days ahead.
Twitter has already seen use over the past few years as a tool for activism. Arab Spring demonstrations were routinely organized via Twitter. Among the factors which makes this unique however, is the IDF's use of the application to tell its side of the story.
People on the ground are also posting their experience of the conflict. These tweets often link to images which show the bodies of those killed or wounded by the ongoing strikes. Such images have had a chilling effect on those who might otherwise support military conflict.
The graphic images are a reminder for those amused by the tweets that the war in Gaza isn't just a war of words - it is a real war, with real human consequences. And therein may lie the true value of Twitter as it bring reality home to all and pushes rational people towards peace.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- 'Family honor' slayings on the rise in some communities in Palestine
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?