Time to stop calling Islam a religion of peace. IT IS NOT!
Islam is the only mainstream religion in the world still spreading by militant means.
The lesson is: freedom of speech does not exist in Islam. A Coptic Christian teacher, Bishoy Kamel will be spending the next six years in an Egyptian prison, and may face danger for the rest of his life for allegedly posting insults against the Prophet Mohammed on his Facebook page.
He was sentenced to three years for insulting the Prophet, two for the president, and one for his accuser.
After he was sentenced and led from court, Muslim protesters tried to attack him, pelting his police car with rocks as he was carried away to jail.
There are two facts that become immediately apparent. The first is that freedom of speech does not exist in Islamic societies where one can face punishment and persecution for verbal or written criticisms.
The second fact is that Islam, at last of the variety that is practiced by violent protestors around the world, cannot in any way be labeled a "religion of peace."
Other religions are typically criticized and satirized in free society. Those acts of free speech are considered offensive to their faithful, but it is only Muslims who react so violently to criticisms of their prophet.
To illustrate this point, this week a satirical American news publication (we will not mention its name) published an incredibly offensive and pornographic image depicting religious figures including Jesus, Moses, Ganesha, and the Buddha and made the editorial point that nobody was killed over the depiction. Likely sickened-yes, but harmed, no.
Militant Islam is more prevalent than many realize. The recent enlistment of an 8-year-old child in the cause of "jihad" in Australia, provides evidence of this.
Islamic leaders around the world must make a decision. This decision is must be made by the leaders of every sect and community within Islam. Either they condemn the violence and actively work towards protecting all, even those who would criticize them, or they face the world's judgment as they themselves nullify any claim to being a peaceful religion.
This includes those who sit silently, as their brothers and cousins throw stones at imprisoned bloggers.
How interesting to note that Islam is the only mainstream religion on the planet still spreading by militant means.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- In spite of new global awareness - child soldiers on the rise in Central African Republic
- Libya takes a hit: $7 billion lost oil strikes
- South Africans dance and sing outside Nelson Mandela's home to honor country's 'greatest son'
- Nelson Mandela es símbolo de reconciliación, dice vocero de Obispos de Sudáfrica
- Revered South African statesman Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Obianuju Ekeocha on World AIDS Day - The Condom and the Killer Virus
- Hoping to boost trade, Kenya launches $13.8 billion China-built railway
- Goodbye Islam - Angola orders all mosques shut down in Islamic ban
- Smartphones to bring a $300bn boost to Africa GDP
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?