Salmonella found in Diamond Pet Foods
Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 plant workers.
At least fourteen people in nine states have been sick with salmonella after handling contaminated dog food from a South Carolina plant, which produced toxic food that killed dozens of dogs.
"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.
Salmonella can spread by handling the infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or touching their own food. Back in 2005, a poisonous mold called aflatoxin ended up in food made at Diamond Pet Foods in South Carolina. The company offered a $3.1 million settlement. The deadly bacteria probably got into the plant when it failed to test 12 shipments of corn, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
The plant located in South Carolina was temporarily shut down on April 8. Four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant has been issued to Diamond Pet Foods between December 9 and April 7. Officials in Michigan found the strain of salmonella during routine testing of dog food on April 2, while health investigators made the connection between the mold and the food made by Diamond Pet Foods.
"We took corrective actions at the plant, and today the plant is up and running. Our mission is to produce safe pet foods for our customers and their pets in all Diamond facilities," the company said in a written statement Friday.
Canidae, Natural Balance, Apex, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health, and Taste of the Wild pet food brands all have been recalled.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Home & Food News
- TOO SPICY! Sriracha factory in California ordered to shut down due to smells
- A most unwelcome surprise to a midday treat: DEADLY Spiders found in banana by British family
- TASTY TREAT: Fat, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves, bone fragments
- Not Again! Barilla pasta under fire after anti-gay remarks
- Asia Pacific region wastes food - as millions go hungry
- What your favorite ice cream flavor says about you: You may be surprised!
- SHOCKING REVELATION: French fries are not from France
- Low-calorie, gluten-free, high-protein quinoa dies quick death in U.S.
- Nations struggling to keep crops growing during climate change
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?