OVER 13 POUNDS: Germany's biggest-ever baby born without C-section
Mother delivered child in conventional manner; later diagnosed with gestational diabetes
Do big girls do cry? Jasleen, delivered last week in Leipzig, Germany has become that nation's largest delivered baby at t 13.47 pounds and 22.6 inches long. Her mother delivered Jasleen without a C-section. Doctors say it was during her stay in the hospital, she was found to have a previously undiagnosed case of gestational diabetes.
Jasleen, delivered last week in Leipzig, Germany has become that nation's largest delivered baby at t 13.47 pounds and 22.6 inches long.
Jasleen's mother case of diabetes usually develops around the 24th week of pregnancy and can lead to larger-than-average newborn size.
Both daughter and mother are doing well after the birth, though Jasleen remains in the neonatal care unit.
Jasleen has snatched the title of Germany's biggest baby from a 13-pound boy named Jihad, born in Berlin in 2011.
A British mother gave birth vaginally to a 15 lb., 7 oz. baby boy named George last March.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby ever was born to Anna Bates of Canada in 1879. The 7'5" mother and her 7'11" husband welcomed a 23 lb. 12 oz. baby boy, but he died 11 hours later.
Like their adult counterparts, a heavier baby can often signal health problems. When a baby is born weighing more than 8 pounds, 13 ounces, the condition is known as "fetal macrosomia" and can be attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- How Republicans won the fight over abortion in Texas
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?