OVER 13 POUNDS: Germany's biggest-ever baby born without C-section
Mother delivered child in conventional manner; later diagnosed with gestational diabetes
Do big girls do cry? Jasleen, delivered last week in Leipzig, Germany has become that nation's largest delivered baby at t 13.47 pounds and 22.6 inches long. Her mother delivered Jasleen without a C-section. Doctors say it was during her stay in the hospital, she was found to have a previously undiagnosed case of gestational diabetes.
Jasleen, delivered last week in Leipzig, Germany has become that nation's largest delivered baby at t 13.47 pounds and 22.6 inches long.
Jasleen's mother case of diabetes usually develops around the 24th week of pregnancy and can lead to larger-than-average newborn size.
Both daughter and mother are doing well after the birth, though Jasleen remains in the neonatal care unit.
Jasleen has snatched the title of Germany's biggest baby from a 13-pound boy named Jihad, born in Berlin in 2011.
A British mother gave birth vaginally to a 15 lb., 7 oz. baby boy named George last March.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby ever was born to Anna Bates of Canada in 1879. The 7'5" mother and her 7'11" husband welcomed a 23 lb. 12 oz. baby boy, but he died 11 hours later.
Like their adult counterparts, a heavier baby can often signal health problems. When a baby is born weighing more than 8 pounds, 13 ounces, the condition is known as "fetal macrosomia" and can be attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?