Mother given miracle baby after 19 miscarriages
Couple's 14-year struggle to conceive finally successful after surgery
Thirty-seven-year-old Jo Short is finally a mother, after 19 miscarriages. Trying to conceive with her husband for 14 years, Short finally has her miracle baby and can now begin to start her family proper.
Proudly bearing their healthy baby daughter Emily on T.V. talk shows, Stave and Jo Short explain that they successfully conceived her just months after Jo had pioneering surgery. The couple from Newport, Wales, appeared on ITV's Daybreak to talk of their experiences.
Proudly bearing their healthy baby daughter Emily on T.V. talk shows, Jo explains that they successfully conceived her just months after Jo had pioneering surgery. The couple from Newport, Wales, appeared on ITV's Daybreak to talk of their experiences.
"It's been a real emotional roller coaster, really quite difficult, but it's been well worth it," Short said. "The challenge was there's limited research into the link between endometriosis and miscarriage.
"The frustration was in being told by eight different consultants that everything was normal and to go away and keep trying."
Steve adds, "The real difficulty is they tell you there is nothing categorically wrong. And every time you roll the dice and you get pregnant you hope something will change but you know deep down it won't."
Jo explained that over the years she had had four laparoscopies, which is a laser procedure that involves sticking a tiny telescope into the body to see what's happening inside and to carry out surgery, each to a depth of 2.5 millimeters.
The sessions involved doctors removing parts of the womb tissue from inside her stomach, which would relieve the pain for about a year but still leave Jo miscarrying.
Cardiff consultant Richard Penketh who told the couple about a pioneering surgery being trialed in Canada that involved cutting back deeper than 2.5 millimeter - all the way to healthy tissue.
"The ramifications for other women are huge," Dr. Sarah Jarvis, joining the couple on Daybreak said. "One miscarriage is utterly devastating."
Endometriosis is a common condition in which small pieces of the womb lining (the endometrium) are found outside the womb. Endometriosis is a long-term, chronic condition that causes painful or heavy periods. It often causes pain in the lower abdomen (tummy), pelvis or lower back. It may also lead to lack of energy, depression and fertility problems.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?