Still nothing on the Bible - Relationship contracts between married couples become popular - again
Clear agreements, good friends - Roman proverb
Relationship contracts are the new trend among the youth and experts say they can help both the husband and wife to enjoy a more fulfilled life and a stronger marriage.
For example, contracts commonly cover who will fulfill what responsibilities and chores in a household, who is permitted to do what and with what frequency, and even how often the pair may engage in physical activity.
Experts say they can help relationships by creating clear expectations. For example: you feed the kids and do the dishes, then we can cuddle. Or, you tidy the garage and then you can watch the game. Or you get up and into church on time, and I'll fix lunch afterwards.
Interestingly, small, daily obligations like that can build a married couple into a strong pair that can weather even the greatest difficulties, or if needs remain unmet, they can swiftly make a shambles of a marriage.
The contracts can even make allowances for time away from one another, detailing how often, and with whom.
The only problem with the contracts is that they can't really be enforced, at least not by a judge. Still, by providing clarity and expectations in a relationships, couples can focus on tackling more important concerns since they know daily concerns will be handled.
Of course, relationship contracts are nothing new. The Bible discusses obligations between husbands and wives, although those contracts are typically less egalitarian since they are a product of a different time. Nonetheless, they can provide a good starting point for any couple interesting in discussing a contract of their own.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Love begins at birth: Newborn baby doesn't want to be separated from mom after birth
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN HOLOCAUST: 72 percent of the babies aborted in Mississippi are black
- Teenage survivors of sexual abuse, incest must address long kept secrets
- More black babies being aborted than being born in New York City
- Woman sends 100 tweets in an hour about her abortion
- Loneliness has strong impact on premature death
- Planned Parenthood agrees to pay $2 million in fatal abortion procedure
- Women's rights activist Reggie Littlejohn among 'Top 10' of Vatican magazine
- Let's remember to keep the saint in St. Valentine's Day
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?