Gosnell abortion trial repulsing even veteran journalists
Testimony suggests Gosnell isn't the only such abortionist.
The trial of abortion doctor, Kermit Gosnell continues to repulse even the most hardened and experienced journalists. Stories of babies born alive and subsequently murdered by untrained nurses are gruesome in the extreme and profoundly heartbreaking. Worse, Gosnell even encouraged women to pursue abortions in their last trimesters.
The resulting investigation uncovered a gruesome scene that was decades in the making.
Gosnell began performing abortions in the 1970s. He made his living murdering babies, particularly those born to minority and poor women in West Philadelphia.
According to testimony offered by witnesses, Gosnell hired poorly-paid, untrained women to assist in his clinic. Gosnell often tasked these assistants with murdering babies that were born alive. In at least one case, a child was murdered over a toilet with scissors. The assistant claimed she had no idea she was doing something wrong.
In another case, Gosnell joked that the baby he was murdering was large enough to walk himself to the bus stop.
According to the grand jury, "This case is about a doctor who killed babies and endangered women. What we mean is that he regularly and illegally delivered live, viable babies in the third trimester of pregnancy - and then murdered these newborns. ... The medical practice by which he carried out this business was a filthy fraud in which he overdosed his patients with dangerous drugs, spread venereal disease among them with infected instruments, perforated their wombs and bowels - and, on at least two occasions, caused their deaths."
Read the Original Grand Jury report here. [WARING: GRAPHIC CONTENT]
The details of the testimony are so gruesome that even experienced reporters are reeling from the case.
The Philadelphia Inquirer's Joseph Slobodzian, who has sat through every day of the trial, was quoted by CNN as saying, "I certainly don't hope I cover a trial like this again."
Even veteran staff at Catholic Online dread reading the updates and transcripts from the trial, which is extraordinarily repulsive.
Perhaps the most haunting line of testimony came from a National Abortion Federation official who visited the clinic. She told the court "It was the worst clinic I have ever seen." Still, she did not report the operation to the authorities.
Note her use of the word, "worst." What's haunting is her word choice implies there are similar mills of horror around the nation, just none so bad as Gosnell's, whatever that is worth.
Other women testify that Gosnell lied, telling them it was safe to get repeated abortions. Some women had over half-a-dozen abortions performed by Gosnell, using his services as a form of birth control.
If Gosnell is convicted, it is hoped he will receive a strong sentence from the court to dissuade others from following similar practices. More importantly, it is hoped his conviction might inspire life-saving legislation that will protect both mothers and their precious children from the seductive lies told by the purveyors of death, who are neither friends of women, nor human rights.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?