Man reunited with birth mother discovers she's a famous bearded lady
Man had grown up in foster care due to abusive dad
For a man who grew up in foster care due to his abusive dad, a reunion with his birth mother has come as something as a shock. His mom turned out to be a world-famous bearded lady! But family is family and love is love, and the two have since forged a close bond.
Richard Lorenco was in "complete shock" when he found out that his mom, 64-year-old Vivian Wheeler, was in fact a famous circus performer, who held a Guinness world record for her 11-inch beard.
Lorenco was in "complete shock" when he found out that his mom, 64-year-old Vivian Wheeler, was in fact a famous circus performer, who held a Guinness world record for her 11-inch beard.
After the shock wore off, Lorenco thought it was "really cool" when he found out his mom had spent her life as a famous side show performer under the stage name Melinda Maxie.
"I had a loving mother the whole time," he explained on a recent episode of the TV show "Shocking Family Secrets."
His mom told him how when he was a child, the two of them had escaped from her abusive husband. He finally tracked them down and abducted him.
Lorenco, in spite of his difficult childhood had chosen to focus on the future and building a new life with his wife and two young daughters.
Lorenco decided the time was right to find out about his biological parents after he suffered a back injury and his family's medical history was needed.
Six weeks after filing his request with the Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, Lorenco received a letter saying his biological mother was a Wheeler of Bakersfield, California.
Both his mother and his maternal grandmother had been born with a condition known as hypertrichosis, or "werewolf syndrome," which meant that even as children they had facial hair.
There was even more unusual news: the letter also stated that his mother had been born a hermaphrodite, with both male and female reproductive organs, although as a baby the male genitalia had been removed because the parents wanted a girl.
If Robert Lorenco had a traumatic childhood, it pales in comparison to his mom.
Wheeler stopped shaving her beard entirely in 1990 shortly after the death of her mother.
"I let it grow back to be myself," she said. "Without my beard, I'm not me. I'm pretending to be someone I'm not."
It is now two years since Lorenco and Wheeler were reunited and they have gone on to build a kind and loving relationship.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?