'I dreamt of becoming a mother. Now I feel like a murderer'
British mom tells of her anguish over intentionally aborting her disabled baby at an advanced stage of pregnancy
British mother Hilary Freeman was set to welcome her daughter Elodie into the world - until she learned her child would be disabled and might only live briefly if born. She made the decision to abort her child - and has found no solace ever since.
After the horrid experience and the tragedy of taking the life of her disabled child through a procured abortion, Hilary Freeman vows to have more children.
"She said she was sorry, but the full amniocentesis results showed that Elodie had a chromosome condition called Trisomy 2 Mosaicism (an extra copy of chromosome two), which is so rare that . there are only five children known to be living with it in the world, and only seven live births recorded in medical literature."
"Each of the surviving children has severe, but different, disabilities: brain damage, feeding problems, heart and kidney problems, and physical deformities. Chromosome two is so fundamental to human life that, usually, a problem with it causes spontaneous early miscarriage," Freeman says.
"The doctors all made it clear they thought a termination (a euphemism for an intentionally procured abortion) was for the best. (My partner) Mickael said he'd be supportive of whatever decision I made, but he was also clear that it wouldn't be fair to let our baby suffer."
Freeman decided to "terminate her pregnancy". In other words, she decided to intentionally have her disabled child killed through a procured abortion rather than give birth to her. She now says it was a horrid experience in many ways.
"Added to this, I was told what a late NHS termination involves. It is not a painless or quick surgical procedure, performed under anesthetic. The process takes four days."
"First, potassium chloride - the chemical used in U.S. executions - would be injected through my abdomen into Elodie's heart . Two days later, I would come back to the hospital to be induced. I would then have to go through labor and give birth to my dead baby. Afterwards, I'd be given tablets to dry up my milk."
Freeman says she was determined to give her unborn child what she thought would be the maximum amount of dignity in the chemical abortion procedure. "There can be few things in life more painful than choosing your baby's funeral music and readings while she is still kicking inside you . I also had to choose the outfit she would wear in her coffin."
Doctors inserted the chemical to kill her unborn baby. "I closed my eyes, clutched Mickael's hand and cried until it was done. Elodie was kicking me right until the end. When she stopped, I realized I'd never feel her move again".
"For the next two days I walked around zombie-like, carrying my dead baby inside me."
Freeman then gave birth to her dead child in the manner she would have if her child had lived. "In a way, I felt I deserved the pain of each contraction as retribution for taking my baby's life - a reaction I'm told is not unusual among women in my situation."
Both Freeman and her partner were allowed to see their child lying in state. "At just over a pound, she was far bigger than I'd been led to expect, and she was perfect, absolutely beautiful, with her father's mouth and my hands."
"We talked to her and held her and admired her tiny fingers and fingernails, just as you would any newborn baby.
"For a while I felt euphoric - another of nature's cruel hormonal tricks - until I realized that she was growing cold and it hit me that she would never get warm again."
Freeman says she will scatter the ashes of Elodie along the coast of Nice, France, where she was conceived. After the tragedy - and the trauma and travail caused by intentionally killing her disabled child through a procured abortion - she vows to have more children.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Study proves abortion causes breast cancer, so where's the headlines?
- Very poorly planned - Planned Parenthood center opens abortion clinic next to adoption center in Fort Worth
- Christian organization recognizes couple, married 81 years and counting!
- Young teens, girls age 11-14 sending sexually explicit photos on the rise, laws may change to accommodate them
- Albuquerque voters reject late term abortion ban, but there's one thing you need to know
- Supreme Court checks abortion advocates, won't overturn Texas law
- Did you know Albuquerque is a Mecca for late-term abortion?
- MIRACLE IN TACLOBAN: Baby born amidst typhoon wreckage
- Disappeared: Missing teenager turns up in Mexico - with husband, kids
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?