A Doctor's Commentary: Akin is Right
challenge, while making the pro-abortionists apoplectic.
Here again he is correct.
To punish the unborn child through abortion, he said, is to create a second victim.
How does adding a second act of violence do any good?
The supposed rape and incest exception is deceiving because supporter of abortion know that if abortion is permissible once it is always permissible. If it is permissible for rape or incest, there really is no reason to condemn it ever, since the reason to condemn it is that it is an act of violence against an innocent, defenseless victim, something that is the same no matter how the unborn child came to be.
Akin is right. Rape, which is always and everywhere an atrocious, brutal and most heinous crime, is so precisely because it is a violent act perpetrated against an innocent victim.
But this also, it turns out, is a really good definition of abortion.
If we can't bring ourselves to condemn all acts of violence against innocents -- I mean all, everywhere, without exception -- then we are saying that some victims just don't count, and that we care more about our own political agendas than about real victimization.
Ironically then, it is only the true pro-lifer who is the coherent, consistent, and credible opponent of rape.
Dr. Dominic M. Pedulla MD, FACC, CNFPMC, ABVM, ACPh as the medical director of The Oklahoma Vein and Endovascular Center is an Interventional Cardiologist, Endovascular Diplomate, Varicose Vein Specialist, Noncontraceptive Family Planning Consultant and a Family Planning Researcher. He is also the Executive Director of The Edith Stein Foundation.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Dominic Pedulla, Edith Stein Foundation, Congressman Akin, abortion, rape, incest, pro-life movement
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Marriage & Family News
- Father Knows Best
- While U.S. marriage rates are in 100-year low, rebound expected shortly
- Healing the Father Wound
- Adoption Takes The Gold Medal In The Race For Parenthood
- WHAT? Breast screening 'doesn't cut deaths,' study says
- Is Chivalry Sexist or Respectful?
- Girls of Any Age Now Permitted Access to Potentially Deadly, Dangerous Plan B Contraceptives
- AMAZING BIRTH: Baby born with amniotic sac intact
- Archbishop of Canterbury warns Cameron that his bill will destroy marriage and weaken the family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?