Pope Francis celebrates his birthday with homeless men and their adorable dog! (photo)
Happy birthday, Pope Francis!
Pope Francis is enjoying his birthday heartily, and in a way that will capture your heart yet again. The Holy Father shared his breakfast with four homeless people and a dog, as well as with his entire staff, who he earlier spoke about by name.
During Mass, Pope Francis spoke about each of his staff by name and invited them to join him in a family-style breakfast in honor of his birthday. After Mass, the four homeless people were presented to the Holy Father. One was holding his rather adorable dog.
St. Francis had a special relationship with animals, according to Catholic tradition.
As the crowd of well-wishers listened on, Pope Francis made clear he wasn't interested in fame or attention, saying "Let the Lord write our history."
Pope Francis was given a birthday cake on Saturday and his favorite Argentine soccer team, San Lorenzo, has sent a delegation with a replica of their championship trophy to present him. It is unclear when that gift will be presented.
Meanwhile, millions of Catholics around the globe have answered the Holy Father's call to help feed the poor. The One Human Family, Food For All campaign is in full swing and Catholic Online is participating by collection food aid donations to send food to the poor.
You too can give Pope Francis a present by donating to the poor here.
Here is a picture of the Holy Father and the Vatican Almoner, who invited the men to meet the Pope, along with their beloved dog.
Pope Francis talks to the homeless men and their dog.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- GRAND OPENING: Catholic Shopping .com is now open for you. Browse today!
- Pope Francis: Fasting 'chips away at our security and, as a consequence, benefits someone else'
- Medical experts confirm miracle attributed to Archbishop Fulton Sheen
- Pew study suggests 'Pope Francis Effect' is a myth
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope may visit China this summer, says China and the Vatican are 'close'
- Francis: 'I carry crucifix I took from dead priest.'
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?