Catholic Bishop quits Democratic party over homosexual marriage and abortion
Catholics are a bit slow to change sometimes.
A prominent Catholic figure has left the Democratic party and changed his affiliation to Republican. Bishop Thomas Tobin said he could no longer support the party that advocated for homosexual marriage and abortion.
Tobin spoke before the Rhody Young Republicans in Providence saying, The a-ha moment for me was the 2012 Democratic National Convention - it was just awful."
"I just said I can't be associated structurally with that group, in terms of abortion and NARAL and Planned Parenthood and same sex marriage agenda and cultural destruction I saw going on. I just couldn't do it anymore," Bishop Tobin explained.
"I've changed my party registration now, but the fact is that the registration itself doesn't mean a lot to me."
Tobin explained that he felt profoundly let down that the party, including many Catholic politicians, caved in on the issues.
Tobin was a traditional, Kennedy-era Democrat who registered with the party in 1969. At that time, although the party was already considered liberal, it would have been much more ideologically similar to today's Republican party than what is has become today.
What is perhaps most surprising is that a Catholic Bishop persisted so long as a registered member of a political party that has been long at odds with Catholic ideology. However, the Democrats do hold positions on certain subjects that are perfectly compatible with Catholic teaching.
Likewise, Republicans also hold some positions that contradict fundamental Catholic principles, but these are much fewer. For example, the death penalty is one area where Republicans tend to favor its imposition but the Church has condemned its use.
Although executions of convicted criminals numbers in the hundreds per year, often under Republican governorships, tens of thousands of innocent babies are aborted, commonly in states where Democratic governors support anti-life policies because such policies ensure the loyalty of leftist extremists.
In recent years these extremists have hijacked the Democratic party and managed to control its voice and agenda to the detriment of its own credibility and the strength of our nation.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope may visit China this summer, says China and the Vatican are 'close'
- Francis: 'I carry crucifix I took from dead priest.'
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Pope Francis charts a brave new course for the Church!
- Pope urges faithful to show love to those who have suffered divorce
- Family as Domestic Church: Good Eats at the Dump
- Benedict XVI calls resignation conspiracy theories 'absurd'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?