Archbishop Chaput to all, 'Wake up!' religious freedom is under attack!
First Amendment imperiled by Obama activity.
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput has called on Americans to recognize that religious freedom, as the Founding Fathers intended it, is now being dangerously imperiled by the federal government.
Archbishop Chaput is the leader of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and has been an outspoken opponent of Obamacare's mandate that sterilization, contraception, and abortifacients be paid for by employers and employees, regardless of whether or not it offends their personal religious convictions.
Forcing a person to violate their personal religious convictions, by government order, is a direct infringement upon individual religious freedom as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
Currently, under Obamacare, and the edict of the Department of Health and Human Services, everyone must pay, even if indirectly, for these dangerous, and immoral "services, " or face legal punishment brought by the government.
"The HHS mandate can only be understood as a form of coercion," the Archbishop recently wrote on the archdiocese website.
Last year the bishops of the U.S. church unanimously passed a statement expressing disapproval at the HHS mandate as both "unjust and illegal."
They correctly pointed out that the regulation violates both the religious freedom of churches and religious institutions, and individual civil rights. It will now no longer matter if you are the most faithful and religious employer or employee -- your funds will now be used to pay for these services no matter how much you disagree. In effect, we are all being compelled to participate in the culture of death that our current government insists on entrenching.
The Catholic Church does support basic and universal healthcare as a right, however as the archbishop explained, " But health care has now morphed into a religious liberty issue provoked entirely--and needlessly--by the current White House. Despite a few small concessions under pressure, the administration refuses to withdraw or reasonably modify a Health and Human Services (HHS) contraceptive mandate that violates the moral and religious convictions of many individuals, private employers and religiously affiliated and inspired organizations."
The archbishop has also pointed out that this goes beyond the HHS edict, but also extends to the administration's treatment of marriage, and it's interference in the Hosanna-Tabor case.
The Obama administration has come out against marriage and is working to undermine the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). The administration has said it now wants to change the definition of marriage to include same-sex couples.
In the Hosanna-Tabor case, the administration attempted to tell a Lutheran school that it was required to restore a minister who violated the teachings of the faith. The Supreme Court sided with the Lutheran school in that case, upholding religious freedom.
However, the administration continues its all out assault on the First Amendment rights of all Americans by insisting that they cooperate with and participate in practices that are offensive to the faithful.
The warning of Archbishop Chaput then is a clarion call to action not just for Catholics, but for all who value the First Amendment.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Pope Francis sends young almoner to do charity in the streets, and possibly sneaks out himself!
- Eternal Shadows or Shadow Makers? Read this inspiring tale of adventure!
- Pope Francis meets with Israel's Netanyahu
- 'King Money' has failed humanity, Pope Francis says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?