Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
Atheists looking to remove Bibles, or add theirs to lodgings.
A national atheist group is planning to put its literature into a hotel room near you, if given the chance. the atheists are already moving with plans to put their literature into Georgia lodgings.
This is what's about to happen to visitors who stay in Georgia's state parks and lodges over the months to come. Atheists have seized upon an opportunity to put their literature into state facilities alongside Gideon Bibles.
Following a complaint lodged by an atheist earlier in the year, state park workers were instructed to remove Gideon Bibles from all cabins and lodges in state parks. The decision was brought to the attention f Gov. Nathan Deal and last week he overturned it saying the Bibles cannot be seen as a state endorsement of religion because the state did not pay for them.
The Bibles have been replaced.
However, Deal made the tactical error of saying that any religious group can donate literature. This has prompted American Atheists President, David Silverman, to come forward with an offer of books about atheism.
Silverman said that neither book should go into the rooms, but if the Bible will be there, then so should literature about atheism.
Silverman said that his group was only waiting for information on how best to handle the donation.
Since the atheists are enjoying success on supplanting the Bible in Georgia, there is some concern they could attempt to replicate it elsewhere. The eventual result could be the elimination of all complimentary literature in hotel rooms around the nation.
For now, it's only in Georgia state parks. Of course, donated literature can also be taken home and enjoyed, so it's unclear how long Silverman's books will last or if he will be able to keep up with demand.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?