CARDINAL BERGOGLIO ELECTED AS POPE FRANCIS I
WIll be known as Pope Francis I.
Cardinal Bergoglio has been elected as our new Holy Father! Habemus Papam!
Bergoglio was the cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aries, Argentina.
The new pope was elected after just 2 days of voting by the cardinals, which is considered fast for the modern Church.
St. Peter's Square is packed and cheery, yet there is a sense of reservation and discipline as thousands of people are packed together in the square. There remains a sense of awe and a sense of reverence at this most solemn and holy moment.
Few men in modern times want to be pope. The massive responsibility of serving as the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people and constant demands of the work are hard on both the mind and body.
However, as Catholics we understand that popes are called forth by God and any man who holds the title and responsibility of office is also buoyed and inspired by the Holy Spirit in the work they do.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Pope Francis charts a brave new course for the Church!
- Pope urges faithful to show love to those who have suffered divorce
- Family as Domestic Church: Good Eats at the Dump
- Benedict XVI calls resignation conspiracy theories 'absurd'
- Pope Francis welcomes outside world to scrutinize Vatican's finances
- Bible in chest pocket shields two bullets - and saves bus driver's life
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?