It's official, Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging
Concerned Catholics asked the cardinal to stay home.
Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging about the new mood there. Mahony made the trip amid scandal regarding his involvement in the concealment of child sex abuse cases from law enforcement. Mahony will now participate the in conclave to elect the next pope.
Mahony says there is "great anticipation and expectation everywhere."
Undoubtedly, his presence in Rome will anger and disappoint many who feel he should not be performing duties there. Mahony has already been told not to perform public duties in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. However, he "remains a priest in good standing" according to the Archdiocese and he is fully permitted to participate in the papal conclave.
On Saturday, Mahony was presented with a petition of nearly 10,000 signatures from Catholics United, a non-partisan group that feels cardinal Mahony should not be travelling to Rome.
Although Cardinal Mahony has not been charged with any crime, it is common knowledge that he failed to report cases of child abuse at the hands of priests to the civil authorities, preferring instead to handle the cases by ordering counseling and transfers for the priests involved.
Mahony has said he was not equipped to deal with such cases.
Mahony remains a subject of interest to authorities in the U.S. as they continue to delve into the precise role that he played in effectively protecting pedophile priests. Although no criminal charges appear forthcoming, they do remain a possibility.
In the meantime, Mahony has appealed for forgiveness and healing, and continues to do so via his blog as the Church begins the transaction to new leadership.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope may visit China this summer, says China and the Vatican are 'close'
- Francis: 'I carry crucifix I took from dead priest.'
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Pope Francis charts a brave new course for the Church!
- Pope urges faithful to show love to those who have suffered divorce
- Family as Domestic Church: Good Eats at the Dump
- Benedict XVI calls resignation conspiracy theories 'absurd'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?