It's official, Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging
Concerned Catholics asked the cardinal to stay home.
Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging about the new mood there. Mahony made the trip amid scandal regarding his involvement in the concealment of child sex abuse cases from law enforcement. Mahony will now participate the in conclave to elect the next pope.
Cardinal Mahony is in Rome where he is already blogging about the atmosphere there.
Mahony says there is "great anticipation and expectation everywhere."
Undoubtedly, his presence in Rome will anger and disappoint many who feel he should not be performing duties there. Mahony has already been told not to perform public duties in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. However, he "remains a priest in good standing" according to the Archdiocese and he is fully permitted to participate in the papal conclave.
On Saturday, Mahony was presented with a petition of nearly 10,000 signatures from Catholics United, a non-partisan group that feels cardinal Mahony should not be travelling to Rome.
Although Cardinal Mahony has not been charged with any crime, it is common knowledge that he failed to report cases of child abuse at the hands of priests to the civil authorities, preferring instead to handle the cases by ordering counseling and transfers for the priests involved.
Mahony has said he was not equipped to deal with such cases.
Mahony remains a subject of interest to authorities in the U.S. as they continue to delve into the precise role that he played in effectively protecting pedophile priests. Although no criminal charges appear forthcoming, they do remain a possibility.
In the meantime, Mahony has appealed for forgiveness and healing, and continues to do so via his blog as the Church begins the transaction to new leadership.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Cardinal Mahony, sex abuse, scandal, pope, election, Catholics United
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?