It's official, Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging
Concerned Catholics asked the cardinal to stay home.
Cardinal Mahony is in Rome, blogging about the new mood there. Mahony made the trip amid scandal regarding his involvement in the concealment of child sex abuse cases from law enforcement. Mahony will now participate the in conclave to elect the next pope.
Mahony says there is "great anticipation and expectation everywhere."
Undoubtedly, his presence in Rome will anger and disappoint many who feel he should not be performing duties there. Mahony has already been told not to perform public duties in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. However, he "remains a priest in good standing" according to the Archdiocese and he is fully permitted to participate in the papal conclave.
On Saturday, Mahony was presented with a petition of nearly 10,000 signatures from Catholics United, a non-partisan group that feels cardinal Mahony should not be travelling to Rome.
Although Cardinal Mahony has not been charged with any crime, it is common knowledge that he failed to report cases of child abuse at the hands of priests to the civil authorities, preferring instead to handle the cases by ordering counseling and transfers for the priests involved.
Mahony has said he was not equipped to deal with such cases.
Mahony remains a subject of interest to authorities in the U.S. as they continue to delve into the precise role that he played in effectively protecting pedophile priests. Although no criminal charges appear forthcoming, they do remain a possibility.
In the meantime, Mahony has appealed for forgiveness and healing, and continues to do so via his blog as the Church begins the transaction to new leadership.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?