Teenager survives nail shot through heart
19-year-old Argentinean man has nail manually removed in hospital
A 19-year-old carpenter in Argentina who was accidentally shot in the heart with a three-inch nail has miraculously survived after delicate surgery. The unnamed man was rushed to hospital Buenos Aires last after the bolt was fired by a colleague into his chest.
In addition to the teen in Argentina, only three people in the world had ever survived such an injury - in the U.S., Australia and Poland.
The man underwent two hours of surgery at El Cruce Néstor Kirchner Hospital.
Doctors decided not to remove the nail immediately as it was "acting as a stopper and preventing a hemorrhage," executive director Arnaldo Medina said.
"In the operating room, we proceeded to open the breast bone very carefully because there was a risk of hitting the nail and enlarging the heart wound," Dr. Marcelo Nahín told newspaper reporters. "With the nail visible, we performed a manual removal of the foreign body, which was embedded in the anterior right ventricular."
"The patient has recovered well and he is now off the ventilator," Nahín said.
According to Medina, only three people in the world had ever survived such an injury - in the U.S., Australia and Poland. This was the first time they had ever seen it occur in Argentina.
On the topic of nail guns, Medina warned "They are powerful and easy to operate as they increase productivity, but they are also responsible for around 37,000 visits each year to emergency rooms in hospitals in the U.S."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- The New Evangelization: Pope Francis's Proposal
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?