Heartbreak turns to hope: Child is born after mom dies in wreck
Arizona mom delivered child before dying from her injuries
Sometimes, the most wonderful things come following anguishing personal tragedy. A few days after Christmas, an expectant mom in Chandler, Arizona was in a terrible traffic accident. While 30-year-old Wei Chu was to later die from her injuries, she managed to give birth to her baby girl.
Authorities say that excessive speed and impairment did not appear to be factors in the crash, adding that the driver of the Honda will be charged with a misdemeanor, but is not likely to face jail time.
Rushed to an area hospital, she gave birth to her baby before passing away. Chandler Police Department spokesman Seth Tyler said the newborn remains in extremely critical condition.
According to officials, the victim was riding in the backseat of a Honda sedan when the car she was in was struck by a flatbed truck near the intersection of Gilbert and Ocotillo roads.
Detective Tyler says that Chu was sitting in the rear of the car with her two-year-old child and a 56-year-old woman. A male family member was behind the wheel.
A Ford F-650 flatbed straight truck was driving north on Gilbert that early afternoon when it crashed into the Honda as it turned left from southbound Gilbert onto eastbound Octotillo.
According to the police spokesman, Chu took the brunt of the impact. The 56-year-old woman who was also in the car was taken to the hospital with minor injuries along with Chu's older child.
Tyler said that excessive speed and impairment did not appear to be factors in the crash, adding that the driver of the Honda will be charged with a misdemeanor, but is not likely to face jail time.
The police spokesperson said the driver was deeply distraught about the tragedy, as was Chu's husband, who arrived at the scene of the crash.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Car wreck, Chandler, Arizona, collision, birth, mother
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- C-section leaves mom fighting for life over dreaded flesh-eating virus
- Pope Francis tells world's leaders to abandon 'cult of money'
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria Reminds Us: The Holy Spirit Helps Us to Live a New Kind of Life
- Women, Behold Our Mother
- Pope Francis canonizes over 800 new saints
- Transubstantiation: Bulwark Defending the 'Is' of Jesus
- GOSNELL GUILTY!
- When Death Arrives, Will You Say Joyfully: O Death, Where is Thy Sting?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?