Heartbreak turns to hope: Child is born after mom dies in wreck
Arizona mom delivered child before dying from her injuries
Sometimes, the most wonderful things come following anguishing personal tragedy. A few days after Christmas, an expectant mom in Chandler, Arizona was in a terrible traffic accident. While 30-year-old Wei Chu was to later die from her injuries, she managed to give birth to her baby girl.
Authorities say that excessive speed and impairment did not appear to be factors in the crash, adding that the driver of the Honda will be charged with a misdemeanor, but is not likely to face jail time.
Rushed to an area hospital, she gave birth to her baby before passing away. Chandler Police Department spokesman Seth Tyler said the newborn remains in extremely critical condition.
According to officials, the victim was riding in the backseat of a Honda sedan when the car she was in was struck by a flatbed truck near the intersection of Gilbert and Ocotillo roads.
Detective Tyler says that Chu was sitting in the rear of the car with her two-year-old child and a 56-year-old woman. A male family member was behind the wheel.
A Ford F-650 flatbed straight truck was driving north on Gilbert that early afternoon when it crashed into the Honda as it turned left from southbound Gilbert onto eastbound Octotillo.
According to the police spokesman, Chu took the brunt of the impact. The 56-year-old woman who was also in the car was taken to the hospital with minor injuries along with Chu's older child.
Tyler said that excessive speed and impairment did not appear to be factors in the crash, adding that the driver of the Honda will be charged with a misdemeanor, but is not likely to face jail time.
The police spokesperson said the driver was deeply distraught about the tragedy, as was Chu's husband, who arrived at the scene of the crash.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Catholic Online Boutique: Complete your shopping list by buying the finest in Catholic this year
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- Andrew Greenwell on the False Tolerance of Secular Liberalism
- Pope Francis orders clergy to hear confessions in parish church, plans to join them
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Media rushes to read tea leaves as Pope Francis trades Burke for Wuerl
- Cardinal Ricardo Maria Carles Gordo dies
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Send Pope Francis a great birthday gift!
- Pope Francis celebrates his birthday with homeless men and their adorable dog! (photo)
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?