Unexpected Papal Correction stuns radical nuns
Archbishop will oversee the reform of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.
Radical nuns, watch out! The Vatican has your number. The Leadership Conference of Women Religious, the largest organization of Catholic nuns in the US, has been singled out for promoting "feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith."
The Leadership Conference of Women Catholic Religious is based in Maryland and represents about 57,000 women, which is just about 80 percent of all Catholic nuns in the US. The conference provides services to women's religious orders and performs advocacy on a myriad of social issues.
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has identified the group as facing a doctrinal crisis on issues of "crucial importance" to the church.
In addition misalignment with the church on issues of homosexuality and abortion, the organization also stands in contrast to the church's teaching on euthanasia, and has provided vocal support in favor of Obama's health care plan which would use government money to fund abortions.
Furthermore, the Vatican report finds the group has been "silent on the right to life from conception to natural death, a question that is part of the lively debate about abortion and euthanasia in the United States."
The Leadership Conference of Women Religious says that it is "stunned" by the scathing Vatican report, in a statement posted online. The brief statement also asks for prayers as the group prepares a response.
The Vatican has appointed Archbishop Peter Sartain of Seattle to oversee the reform of the group. The review and reform process could take up to five years.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis asks YOU to help NOW - Join the campaign to end world hunger
- A Humbling Sacrament: Penance, Reconciliation and Forgiveness
- Vatican: He didn't seek it but, Pope Francis is Time Magazine Man of the Year
- Pope Francis praises group that wants to deny communion to anti-life politicians
- Catholic Team Global - One child dies every 10 seconds from hunger
- Study: Results of pornography addiction found shocking
- ANGEL'S FACE APPEARS on 9-11 memorial!
- Pope Francis shares how his life 'was saved by a nun'
- Following John the Baptizer to Happiness and Freedom
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?