Unexpected Papal Correction stuns radical nuns
Archbishop will oversee the reform of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.
Radical nuns, watch out! The Vatican has your number. The Leadership Conference of Women Religious, the largest organization of Catholic nuns in the US, has been singled out for promoting "feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith."
The Leadership Conference of Women Catholic Religious is based in Maryland and represents about 57,000 women, which is just about 80 percent of all Catholic nuns in the US. The conference provides services to women's religious orders and performs advocacy on a myriad of social issues.
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has identified the group as facing a doctrinal crisis on issues of "crucial importance" to the church.
In addition misalignment with the church on issues of homosexuality and abortion, the organization also stands in contrast to the church's teaching on euthanasia, and has provided vocal support in favor of Obama's health care plan which would use government money to fund abortions.
Furthermore, the Vatican report finds the group has been "silent on the right to life from conception to natural death, a question that is part of the lively debate about abortion and euthanasia in the United States."
The Leadership Conference of Women Religious says that it is "stunned" by the scathing Vatican report, in a statement posted online. The brief statement also asks for prayers as the group prepares a response.
The Vatican has appointed Archbishop Peter Sartain of Seattle to oversee the reform of the group. The review and reform process could take up to five years.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- GRAND OPENING: Catholic Shopping .com is now open for you. Browse today!
- Pope Francis: Fasting 'chips away at our security and, as a consequence, benefits someone else'
- Medical experts confirm miracle attributed to Archbishop Fulton Sheen
- Pew study suggests 'Pope Francis Effect' is a myth
- What will your Lenten Pledge be?
- Pope may visit China this summer, says China and the Vatican are 'close'
- Francis: 'I carry crucifix I took from dead priest.'
- Pope Francis says papal summer residence gardens be opened to the public
- Pope Francis makes special plea, but will any Catholics really listen?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?