New malaria vaccine proved to be 100 percent effective
Vaccine seen as boon to nations wracked my mosquito-borne virus
A cure for malaria would be an enormous boon for all mankind. The mosquito-born virus continues to decimate large swaths of Asia and Africa, a new vaccine has proved to be 100 percent effective against the ravages of the disease, "...This is a pivotal success," Stefan Kappe, a malaria researcher at the Seattle Biomedical Research Institute in Washington says.
Treatment of malaria depends on many factors including disease severity, the species of malaria parasite causing the infection and the part of the world in which the infection was acquired.
Six subjects were given five doses intravenously in the safety trial's first phase. All were found to be protected from test bites of infectious mosquitos. Five of six unvaccinated control subjects developed malaria.
"The trial results constitute the most important advance in malaria vaccine development since the first demonstration of protection with radiation attenuated sporozoite immunization by mosquito bite in the 70s. This is a pivotal success," Kappe said.
The trial will now need to be addressed to a wider array of subjects to see if the vaccine will work on the varied strains of the disease and if it continues to provide the same protection for both men and women of different ages.
Treatment of malaria depends on many factors including disease severity, the species of malaria parasite causing the infection and the part of the world in which the infection was acquired. The latter 2 characteristics help determine the probability that the organism is resistant to certain antimalarial drugs. Additional factors such as age, weight, and pregnancy status may limit the available options for malaria treatment.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Drinking water from plastic cups, bottles may be causing migraine headaches
- Apocalypse imminent as bacteria evolve beyond antibiotics
- New injection gives arthritics new hope
- Overweight people need to curb blood pressure to cut heart attack risk, doctors say
- Dangerous fad diet involves kids eating cotton balls
- Heart attack symptoms show up ONE MONTH before they occur, doctors say
- Diabetes spreading at alarming rate throughout Asia
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?