Federal officials issue warning about MERS, may be spread by Muslim pilgrimage
FDA has approval to fast-track drugs and other treatments for the disease.
More than two million Muslims visit Mecca each year for the annual pilgrimage and many come from the United States. As the MERS virus stalks Saudis, the chances for its global spread increases with the influx of pilgrims.
Regardless, if the disease begins to spread globally, it will be a threat to national security.
The notice was published in the Federal Register on Wednesday and authorities are neither wasting time, nor taking chances. The notice paves the way for the rapid development of drugs to combat the disease.
Although the disease has affected only about 55 people, the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization are taking it very seriously because of its lethality. They have warned the disease appears easily able to transmit from person-to-person.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius who published the notice Wednesday said, "there is a significant potential for a public health emergency that has a significant potential to affect national security or the health and security of United States citizens living abroad."
Now, the Food and Drug Administration may bypass traditional processes for the approval of drugs and products that will combat the disease, even to the point of using an unapproved or unlicensed product.
These measures suggest that MERS could be far more deadly and dangerous than we think. Other lethal diseases do not receive such warnings and authorizations. However, MERS can spread easily and although the number of reported cases is small, officials believe the true number may be much higher.
There are no official restrictions, recommendations, or warnings for the public at this time, however federal officials are monitoring the situation very closely.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Obamacare crashing in model states like California as 70 percent of doctors opt out
- New hepatitis-C drug approved by FDA
- Donors from around the world say that an AIDS-free generation may be within sight
- Washington signing up more people for Medicaid than private plans
- Man documents ravages of diabetes to his feet as they decay within 10 DAYS
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Drinking water from plastic cups, bottles may be causing migraine headaches
- Apocalypse imminent as bacteria evolve beyond antibiotics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?