Is it really that simple? - Research suggests ordinary vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB
Vitamin C may shorten the course of treatment for people with TB
Researchers say they have found, quite by accident, that vitamin C may be useful in combating drug-resistant tuberculosis.
Publishing their report in the journal, Nature Communications, lead author Dr. William Jacobs Jr., an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, said researchers made the discovery while trying to figure out how TB becomes resistant to first-line treatment with isoniazid.
Researchers studying the bacteria were working with TB cultures to see if they could create a drug-resistant strain in the laboratory. They blended the drug isoniazid with vitamin C among other things.
However, instead of becoming resistant, the bacteria was killed. In fact, even without the drug, and just vitamin C, the bacteria died off.
In other words, vitamin C by itself is sufficient to kill all known drug resistant strains of TB, at least in the laboratory.
This is a bombshell discovery given that researchers are scrambling to keep TB from reemerging as a major killer.
In 2011, about 8.7 million people around the globe contracted TB and 1.4 million of those victims died. Imagine if the cure for their illness could be as simple as vitamin C.
The discovery was made by accident, in an effort to make the disease drug resistant. Nobody has previously thought to test simple vitamin C against drug resistant strains of TB.
Now, researchers will need to test the effect of vitamin C on TB in animals and eventually humans to see if it has the same effect within the body as in the lab. If it does, then we may be on the verge of a significant breakthrough in the fight against this legendary and evolving killer.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- FDA gives guidelines to limit use of antibiotics in livestock
- Exercise reduces chances of dementia, lengthy study concludes
- Obamacare crashing in model states like California as 70 percent of doctors opt out
- New hepatitis-C drug approved by FDA
- Donors from around the world say that an AIDS-free generation may be within sight
- Washington signing up more people for Medicaid than private plans
- Man documents ravages of diabetes to his feet as they decay within 10 DAYS
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?