Woman sees world upside down due to rare brain condition
Serbian woman suffers from spatial orientation phenomenon
The world is upside down - literally, for a 28-year-old Serbian woman who suffers from a rare brain condition. Bojana Danilovic, from Užice, is afflicted with spatial orientation phenomenon, which causes her to see the world topsy-turvy.
Not one for self pity, Bojana Danilovic doesn't know of any other way of perceiving her surroundings and, all things considered, the standard way of viewing the world is just as peculiar to her as her way is to most others.
Everything she sees is jumbled due to a connection in her brain that flips what she perceives, Central European News reports. "They say my eyes see the images the right way up but my brain changes them," Danilovic explains.
"But they don't really seem to know exactly how it happens, just that it does and where it happens in my brain," she says of her condition. As a result, Danilovic reads papers from the bottom up.
An economics expert, Danilovic uses a special inverted computer screen and keyboard at her town hall job in the city of Užice. She also uses special official work forms that are easier to fill out upside down.
"It may look incredible to other people but to me it's completely normal," Danilovic says.
"I was born that way. It's just the way I see the world."
Her family at home watches a television placed upright while she watches another overturned television, which the Cambridge, Mass. scientists have never seen before.
"They told me they've seen the case histories of some people who write the way I see, but never someone quite like me," Danilovic adds.
Not one for self pity, Danilovic doesn't know of any other way of perceiving her surroundings and, all things considered, the standard way of viewing the world is just as peculiar to her as her way is to most others.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Obamacare crashing in model states like California as 70 percent of doctors opt out
- New hepatitis-C drug approved by FDA
- Donors from around the world say that an AIDS-free generation may be within sight
- Washington signing up more people for Medicaid than private plans
- Man documents ravages of diabetes to his feet as they decay within 10 DAYS
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Drinking water from plastic cups, bottles may be causing migraine headaches
- Apocalypse imminent as bacteria evolve beyond antibiotics
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?