Prescription for disaster - Obamacare coming too fast to stop the corruption
Pace of implementation is not allowing proper legal review.
President Obama, in his breakneck rush to impose Obamacare on the nation, has set up a system whereby conflicts of interest could prevail. This is the latest danger which the Senate Finance Committee has identified with the way Obamacare is being implemented.
The Obama administration has farmed out the job of constructing a data services hub for the government. That hub will be an integral part of the federal insurance exchange. Recently, one of the contractors working on the project, Quality Software Services, Inc. (QSSI) was acquired by UnitedHealth Group, which is a large healthcare conglomerate.
The Senate Finance Committee is concerned that UnitedHealth group could be enjoying the advantage of an uneven playing field, given their size in the marketplace, but that advantage cannot be examined for any conflicts of interest because there simply isn't enough time.
To meet the 2014 deadline, now just 14 months in the future, the parties involved have no time to stop and answer questions.
This lack of transparency has Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) worried that the entire scheme could run into ever-larger problems as the rapid, opaque process invites corruption.
To address the concern, Senator Hatch has reasonably asked Health and Human Services Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius for a full account of the contractors who have been selected to build the exchange as well as what federal officials signed off on the contractors.
Hatch, along with his Senate colleagues, are looking to ensure that ethical considerations are abided by as Obamacare is imposed on America. It's the best they can do.
"I am seeking more information about the contracts associated with the entities selected to build the federally facilitated exchange (FFE) and the federal data services hub that will support the FFE," Hatch wrote.
The Senator is interested in whether or not the HHS bothered to review the acquisition of QSSI by UnitedHealth Group, and if any regard was paid to the possibility that a conflict of interest could be created.
Hatch gave Sebelius a deadline of October 26 to respond to his letter.
She has ignored it.
However, had she met the deadline, there is little the Senate could have done. The breakneck pace the Obama administration has set leaves no time to properly vett and evaluate contracts and to replace contractors if problems arise.
In other words, there's no time to correct mistakes.
With billions of dollars likely to flow through these exchanges, many of them coming from taxes, the federal government has a responsibility to ensure the public isn't going to be fleeced while using a system they are essentially compelled under threat of law to use.
Unfortunately, the system is already rigged so that members of the Senate Finance Committee, whose job it is to oversee such things, cannot even ask questions and obtain responses. And even if they did get answers, there is little they can do.
Ultimately, Obamacare is being slammed down the throat of every taxpayer, and there's no answer to what it really contains. Unless a repeal is voted, which is unlikely, America is going to have to like Dr. Obama's prescription, regardless of how much snake-oil it contains.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- FDA gives guidelines to limit use of antibiotics in livestock
- Exercise reduces chances of dementia, lengthy study concludes
- Obamacare crashing in model states like California as 70 percent of doctors opt out
- New hepatitis-C drug approved by FDA
- Donors from around the world say that an AIDS-free generation may be within sight
- Washington signing up more people for Medicaid than private plans
- Man documents ravages of diabetes to his feet as they decay within 10 DAYS
- Dementia epidemic only growing worse: 135 million sufferers could arrive by 2050
- Men are from Mars, Women from Venus? Their brains are certainly wired differently
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?