Earth is still green - for the time being
Spectacular satellite imagery proves that the world is still green, in spite of drought and deserts
Much of the Earth is covered by desert and many parts of the world - in particular the United States and Africa are undergoing periods of severe drought. However, vegetation satellite images and video, recently released by NASA and NOAA reveals the greener side of earth. Beautiful green images were created from a year's worth of satellite data collected by a Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership satellite.
Bogged down with minutiae and humdrum problems, the planet Earth, when viewed from space -- is still beautiful.
A NASA press statement says that the vegetation data has many practical uses. After the recent severe droughts in the U.S., it's worth noting that a particularly important purpose will be to provide data to the U.S. Drought Monitor service.
The vegetation satellite images provide worldwide information about the greening - or the desertification - of the earth.
NOAA's Environmental Visualization Laboratory pointed out while "75 percent of the planet is a relatively unchanging ocean of blue, the remaining 25 percent of Earth's surface is a dynamic green." The satellite data from April 2012 through April 2013 can create the changing video animation.
Viewers can see the transformation of the green Amazon forests into agricultural and other human land use, which could change the overall climate of the region.
So precise is the data, that pixel by pixel changes could provide advance warnings of oncoming disasters such as droughts in the Horn of Africa, where raising enough food to ward off hunger has been a recurring concern.
It's even possible to identify regions in Africa that might provide habitat for mosquitoes that carry malaria.
In spite of this, many people were delighted with gloomy talk about deforestation, drought and growing deserts that the Earth remains a verdant green from space.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Fearsome beast once stalked Europe: New dinosaur identified
- Resident Evil: Extinction. 30,000-year-old giant virus revived from frozen Siberian tundra
- The world's getting hotter - in spite of reductions in global warming
- BAD PARENTING: Ants use their newborns as rafts in flood situations
- Powered by Google. Online monitoring system tracks global deforestation
- TOLD YOU SO: Human behavior now causing greatest mass extinction ever, and it's finally hitting you in the wallet
- Cereal giant Kellogg pledges only to use ethically supplied palm oil
- World's largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frying birds which flies over
- Source of Amazon River may be 57 miles longer than previously believed
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?