First law of the black widow kingdom - Don't get old
Study reveals that males devour older females before coupling.
Conventional wisdom says the female black widow is fond of devouring her mate during his moment of post-coital bliss. However, new research indicates that sometimes, the roles get reversed.
However, researchers who wanted to see just how true this legend was, followed several spiders in a laboratory, only to discover a shocking result.
Sometimes the females became the lunch.
Scientists from Masaryk University in the Czech Republic, studied pairs of black widow spiders in the lab. In their studies, they found a gruesome exception to the female-devours-male rule. Male black widows, typically those which hatch in the summer instead of spring tend to be larger and more aggressive, and are more likely to eat the females they encounter before mating.
The older the female was, the more likely she was to be killed and eaten. Males did not kill females with whom they mated.
This suggests male black widows are choosy about their mates, with a distinct preference for younger females. Those that don't measure up are likely to end up becoming lunch as opposed to spider-moms.
Researchers say not even size or virginity appeared to play a factor in whether or not they got cannibalized by their dates.
Such behavior has not been seen in other spider species, at least not as of yet.
The study is detailed in the current issue of Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- ERUPTION: Japan the proud papa of a brand new island
- $280 million pledged by nations to halt deforestation
- UGLY! Extremely rare fish nabbed for second time ever near Canada
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?