First law of the black widow kingdom - Don't get old
Study reveals that males devour older females before coupling.
Conventional wisdom says the female black widow is fond of devouring her mate during his moment of post-coital bliss. However, new research indicates that sometimes, the roles get reversed.
However, researchers who wanted to see just how true this legend was, followed several spiders in a laboratory, only to discover a shocking result.
Sometimes the females became the lunch.
Scientists from Masaryk University in the Czech Republic, studied pairs of black widow spiders in the lab. In their studies, they found a gruesome exception to the female-devours-male rule. Male black widows, typically those which hatch in the summer instead of spring tend to be larger and more aggressive, and are more likely to eat the females they encounter before mating.
The older the female was, the more likely she was to be killed and eaten. Males did not kill females with whom they mated.
This suggests male black widows are choosy about their mates, with a distinct preference for younger females. Those that don't measure up are likely to end up becoming lunch as opposed to spider-moms.
Researchers say not even size or virginity appeared to play a factor in whether or not they got cannibalized by their dates.
Such behavior has not been seen in other spider species, at least not as of yet.
The study is detailed in the current issue of Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Fearsome beast once stalked Europe: New dinosaur identified
- Resident Evil: Extinction. 30,000-year-old giant virus revived from frozen Siberian tundra
- The world's getting hotter - in spite of reductions in global warming
- BAD PARENTING: Ants use their newborns as rafts in flood situations
- Powered by Google. Online monitoring system tracks global deforestation
- TOLD YOU SO: Human behavior now causing greatest mass extinction ever, and it's finally hitting you in the wallet
- Cereal giant Kellogg pledges only to use ethically supplied palm oil
- World's largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frying birds which flies over
- Source of Amazon River may be 57 miles longer than previously believed
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?