Dolphin dies in polluted New York canal when rescurers would not go in
Rescuers were unable to jump in to rescue as water was too polluted
In a heartbreaking story to all animal lovers, an injured dolphin has died after swimming deep into the heart of New York City's Gowanus Canal, one of the dirtiest waterways in the United States. Rescuers said they couldn't help the mammal as the canal was too polluted for people to enter the water safely.
News reports showed the dolphin mired in thick black toxic sludge and authorities said the animal was injured and bleeding from its dorsal fin.
Freezing temperatures coupled with thick pollution, the seven-foot-long short-beaked common dolphin made its way almost two miles inland to the end of the waterway. The dolphin struggled for air as onlookers and authorities lined the canal.
Senior biologist at the Riverhead Foundation Robert DiGiovanni said "Unfortunately, all we can do is watch and wait for the tide to rise, so the animal can get out on its own. It's not safe for us to get people in the water," DiGiovanni told reporters.
News reports showed it mired in thick black toxic sludge and authorities said the animal was injured and bleeding from its dorsal fin. Onlookers took cell photos while a news helicopter hovered overhead.
"He keeps going up and down and going from side to side and people are saying we don't know what's taking so long to go in there and save him," a witness said.
"He's in bad shape. You can tell. A dolphin is grey, but he's black right now. He was starting to swim toward the middle of the canal. But it doesn't look good."
Animal experts waited to see if the dolphin would "free itself" from the area during the evening's high tide.
"Because there is no shoreline or easy way to get to the dolphin, investigators will only monitor it," DiGiovanni, told CNN. "It's very uncommon for a dolphin or any marine animal to be in the Gowanus, but it's happened before."
In 2007, a baby whale died after wandering up the Gowanus Canal and becoming stranded. The minke whale, about a year old, had been too young to survive on its own.
In that instance, experts had reported seeing nothing to indicate the mammal was sick, such as swimming erratically or in tight circles. With only the whale's dorsal fin visible, observers could only guess whether it might have been injured.
As it had been in the case of the dolphin, marine biologists expressed hope earlier that the whale would find its way back into open water in New York harbor. The situation took a turn for the worse when the whale's swimming patterns changed.
There are many theories as to why dolphins get themselves stranded in shallow or narrow bodies of water. Some scientists theorize it may happen due to illness or injury, swimming in close to shore to take refuge in shallow water and getting trapped by the changing tide.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Global warming? 'Soul-crushing' cold recorded in Antarctica
- Design students come up with high-tech toilets for modern world
- Global Warming? Somebody tell this man why a few degrees of extra warmth are bad
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?