Global map of major earthquakes revelatory
Edge of Pacific Ocean is especially dangerous
A global map of every single major earthquake that has taken place on
Planet Earth since 1898 has shown some startling results. There have
been at least more than 203,000 major temblors, with the edge of the
Pacific Ocean being shown as particularly dangerous.
The map, rendered in startling neon colors was created as a side-project by mapping manager John Nelson. The Michigan-based designer works for data-visualization software maker IDV Solutions.
Nelson recently revealed on the IDV blog that "I've been looking at really general sources of existential risk and visualizing them via the kitchen sink school of thematic mapping. So the earthquakes map was just a matter of time.
"Here, data from NCEDC.org and the USGS and UC Berkeley have been sliced out into veneers based on magnitude, then glued onto and image that began it's life at NASA's Visual Earth and wrung into the Times projection."
Nelson waxes poetical: "The result looks an awful lot like a fleet of Nickelodeon tankers spilled the world's supply of floam."
Among the major earthquakes John has mapped are the Great San Francisco Earthquake that killed 3,000 people and last year's disaster in Christchurch, New Zealand, which killed 185 people and destroyed many buildings.
Nelson has also created maps to show the path of each tornado in America over the last six decades using the Fujita Scale, or F-Scale, measures tornadoes based mainly on the amount of damage they cause to buildings and vegetation.
The map shows 61 years worth of tornado tracks. Nelson's map shows the path of the violent storms, with the brightness of the lines indicating the strength. The map uses U.S. Government data of where tornadoes "touched down" between 1950 and 2011 and has spread around the world in the last few weeks.
Fuelled by the success of this map, the creator is looking to bring out a new, interactive version, which will include 2012's data and allow you to filter the map by strength, year, location, seasons and other factors.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- Global warming? 'Soul-crushing' cold recorded in Antarctica
- Design students come up with high-tech toilets for modern world
- Global Warming? Somebody tell this man why a few degrees of extra warmth are bad
- 2011 Japan tsunami was triggered by world's largest fault slip
- Discovery may prompt scientists to redraw human family tree -- again
- Report urges policymakers to ignore long-term climate change threats and focus on 'abrupt' changes instead
- When you gotta go, you gotta go: Prehistoric dinosaur toilet discovered in Argentina
- Isn't this just the cutest dinosaur EVER?
- Climate change a myth? Not for these places!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?