Three cities of this name have successively occupied sites in the same neighbourhood.
I. A city of Canaan taken and destroyed by Josue after the passage of the Jordan ( Joshua 6 ). The establishment of the Israelites in the industries of the "City of Palm Trees" gave birth to the Jericho of Benjamin ( Joshua 18:21 ), which was for some time dominated by Eglon, King of Moab ( Judges 3:12 ), and in which David's emissaries hid themselves when they had been outraged by Hanon, King of the Ammonites ( 2 Samuel 10:5 ). But when, under Achab, the Canaanite Jericho had been restored by Hiel the Bethelite ( 1 Kings 16:34 ), the Israelites installed themselves there. They were visited by Eliseus, who purified the waters of the spring ( 2 Kings 2:18-22 ). Three hundred and forty-five men of Jericho, returning from captivity, repopulated their native city ( Ezra 2:34 ; Nehemiah 7:36 ). Having fallen into the hands of the Syrians, it was fortified by Bacchides, to protect Judea on the eastern side ( 1 Maccabees 9:50 ). This Jericho was situated at Tell-es-Sulthàn, near the Fountain of Eliseus ('Ain-es-Sultàn), which flows at a distance of about two miles north-west of ez-Ribà, the modern Jericho. Excavations made in this tell in 1907-08 brought to light a rampart measuring some 840 yards in circuit, a citadel with double wall of the Canaanite period, Israelitish dwellings of the time of the Kings, and some post-exilic Jewish pottery (Mitteil. der deutschen Orient. Gesellschaft zu Berlin, December, 1908, no. 39; "Revue Biblique", 1909, 270-79).
II. The ancient Jericho, near the spring, had entirely disappeared when Herod founded a new Jericho towards the point where the brook of the Kelt and the Jerusalem road emerge from the mountains. Protected by the fort of Cypros, it possessed royal palaces, vast reservoirs, a hippodrome, and an amphitheatre (Josephus, "Bell. Jud.", I, xxi, 14; xxxiii, 6, 8; "Antiq. Jud.", XVI, v, 2). Herod died there: his son Archelaus further embellished the palaces and caused new aqueducts to be built to bring water to the palm gardens (Antiq. Jud., XVII, xiii, 1). It was at the gates of this Jericho that Christ cured two blind men ( Matthew 20:29-34 ), only one--Bartimeus--according to Mark (x, 46) and Luke (xviii, 35), and saw the publican Zacheus ( Luke 19:1-5 ). The Khìrbet Qaqûn, the Birket Mûsâ, a few artificial mounds, are the visible remains of the second Jericho, which, before being entirely destroyed, served for some days as a Roman camp (Bell. Jud., viii, 2; ix, 13).
III. A third Jericho then came into existence in the gardens which the Fountain of Eliseus watered, and where, besides the palm, grew the henna, balm, myrrh (Bell. Jud., IV, viii, 3), the sycamore, banana, etc. According to the map of the Mâdabâ, it was an important city and a see suffragan to Cæsarea Maritima. Its known bishops are Januarius (325), Macer (381), Eleutherius (415), Joannes (518), Gregorius (536), Basilius (800) ( Lequien, "Oriens Christianus", III, 646-50). Justinian set up here a great caravanserai (Procopius, "De Ædif.", v, 9). During the Crusades Jericho was a benefice attached to the Holy Sepulchre. The Byzantine city was succeeded by the present Ribà, which consists of a few hostelries for pilgrims and tourists, and some fifteen wattle huts inhabited by Ghawarneh Arabs. There is also a Greek church (called "the Sanctuary of Zacheus") served by two Orthodox monks, a Latin chapel, and a mosque.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online