The diocese included the provinces (amter) of Aarhus and Randers, the islands of Samso and Tuno, and, after 1396, part of the province of Viborg. Frode, King of Jutland, built the church of the Holy Trinity at Aarhus about 900. In 948 Archbishop Adaldag of Hamburg consecrated Reginbrand as missionary Bishop of Aarhus. After the latter's death in 988 all Jutland was united in one diocese, with Ribe or Viborg as its centre. It was redivided in 1060, and one Christian was ordained Bishop of Aarhus by Adalbert I, Archbishop of Hamburg. Another bishop, Ulfketil (1102-34) planned the town of Aarhus. The warlike Svend Udsson (1166-91) founded the Cistercian abbey at Om. His successor, Peter Vagnsen, began in 1201 the Cathedral of St. Clement. Near it lay the wooden church built by Bishop Ulfketil in 1102 to contain the relics of St. Clement. About 1150 the Venerable Niels, Prince of Denmark, died and was buried in St. Clement's churchyard. The offerings at his tomb facilitated the commencement of the new stone cathedral. This was finished about 1263, but in 1330 the greater part of it was burnt down. Peter Jensen Lodeliat (1386-95) and Bo Magnussen (1395-1423) were the prelates mainly concerned in the erection of the fine building extant today. The last Catholic bishop, Ove Bilde (imprisoned 1536), and Paulus Heliae, prior of the Carmelite monastery at Elsinore, attempted in vain to stay the progress of the Reformation at Aarhus. There were in the diocese : a chapter with 34 prebendaries at Aarhus cathedral ; Benedictines at Essenbeck, Voer, Alling, and Veirlov; Augustinian Canons at Tvilum, Cistercians at Om, who survived till 1560; and Carthusians at Aarhus. There were also Franciscans at Horsens and Randers, Dominicans at Aarhus, Horsens, and Randers, Carmelites and a hospital of the Holy Spirit at Aarhus. There were Hospitallers of St. John till 1568 at Horsens. Lastly there were Brigittines at Mariager from 1412 to 1592.
At Aarhus there is now a Jesuits' college with a fine church, as well as a large hospital in charge of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery, who also have hospitals at Horsens and Randers, which last two towns also contain Catholic churches.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online