A titular see of Syria, suffragan of Hierapolis, in the Province of the Euphratensis. The city is often called Zeuma (see the texts in Gelzer's ed. of "Georgii Cyprii Descriptio Orbis Romani", 149). A bridge uniting the two banks of the Euphrates suggested the name, the Greek work meaning "a yoke". Pliny (Hist. Nat., XXXIV, 150) says that Alexander the Great was the first to build a bridge at this point, no doubt a pontoon bridge. Seleucus Nicator repaired it (Pliny, op. cit., V, 86). The Parthians were accustomed to cross the river at this place (Dio Cassius, XLIX, 19) it being the easiest crossing (Tacitus, "Annals", 12). Cassius camped here in his campaign against the Parthians during the reign of Claudius. In early times two distinct cities, Seleucia and Apamea, had each its opposite bank of the river (Pliny, op. cit., V, 86, 119; "Corp. Inser. Græc.", 2548). It became customary to say that both cities were on the passage of the "Zeugma", and from the first century of our era this name was in current use. Procopius (De Ædificiis, II, 9) says that Justinian built a wall about the city and strongly fortified it. The "Notitia Episcopatuum" of Antioch (sixth century; see "Echos d'Orient", X, 145), mentions Zeugma among the suffragans of Hierapolis. Le Quien (Oriens Christ., II, 941-44) mentions several of its bishops : Bassus at Nicaed (325); Antonius, an Arian, present at the Council of Philippopolis (344); Sabinianus (363); Aphthonius, at first abbot of a local monastery, later bishop ; Heliades, at Ephesus (431); Evocrius at Chalcedon (451); Julian (553). Theodoret ("Hist. Relig.", V; P.G., LXXXII, 1352-57) deals at length with St. Publius, a monk of Zeugma, and with his monastery. The site of Zeugma has not yet been found; doubtless it is near Biredjik, and facing that place.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online