St. Peter Claver Comments

St. Peter Claver was born at Verdu, Catalonia, Spain, in 1580, of impoverished parents descended from ancient and distinguished families. He studied at the Jesuit college of Barcelona, entered the Jesuit novitiate at Tarragona in 1602 and took his final vows on August 8th, 1604. While studying philosophy at Majorca, the young religious was influenced by St. Alphonsus Rodriguez to go to the Indies and save "millions of perishing ... Continue Reading

1. Frederick Corrigan Jacobsen

This saint touches my heart because Im from Colombia. He is an old Mother Theresa centuries before and before that he is Jesus forgiving the slave masters. ?

2. Lily

He was a very compassionate man & knew the importance of human dignity. We can all learn from his life testimony. Dear Lord I pray we can all get closer to you by being more like saint Peter Claver and your Son JesusChrist who lives and reigns forever and ever...

3. richard lewis

"the principle slave market" should be spelled principal. principle means something else. otherwise, a fascinating write-up about a great catholic inspiration.

4. SLS

As a yound adult I attended Mass at the Shrine of St. Joseph in downtown St. Louis, MO. A miracle that was used as evidence for St. Peter Claver's canonization occured there in the early 1860s. I remember venerating a relic of St. Peter Claver to blessTo read more about it, see htttp://www.shrineofstjoseph.org/miracle.html.

5. Monica

What an inspiration to us all! Coming from a good family fallen on hard times, Peter could so easily fallen into self pity and neglected his talents. Instead he studied and learned, followed his dream of helping others and who can even guess how many lives he improved and how much he inspired people all around him.

6. Melissa

Although I am not a saint, nor am I likely to become one, these men and women have led the way to God by example.

7. nichole

this is great help for me

8. bri

A very good saint that needs to be known around the world, to inspire people to try their best to keep hate out of the world!

9. Desiree

What an inspirational saint. I am a member of the Knights of Peter Claver, Ladies Auxiliary Division. Come check us out at www.kofpc.org. Many look up to St. Peter Claver.

10. Marie

Also he is a great example for young men.

11. Wilfred Louis

Verry helpfullllllll

12. 5 years ago

i love this website t blows my mind kkk for life bbbbbbaaaaaalllllllllllinnnnnn

13. Bobbie Johnson

Yesterday was the first day I've heard of this saint and was very impressed....I am a native of St. Louis but now live in Illinois. I am so greatful for his life and his total being. I pray that GOD has sent another to save us all again...

14. Bin

Dear Saint Peter Claver, just as you struggled to abolish slavery, pls intercede to abolish the modern-day equivalent of slavery, abortion.

May people rise above petty politics and serve the poor and needy, including the most poor of these people (as Mother Teresa had said), the unborn.

With your unceasing prayers and that of the Queen of saints and all the other saints and angels of GOD, may GOB shine HIS light upon all the people and enlighten them to know right from wrong and the courage to follow the right path, overcoming obstacles by the tremendous grace of GOD, HIMSELF. Amen

15. Patrisha Nyaya

I grew up in Mbare Zimbabwe and went to a catholic church named after St Peter Claver and as kids were taught how great generous and courageous he was and every one wanted to be like him so much most boys my age when confirmed chose his name and were very proud to be called by his name. Am glad to read about him though he was not African i can easily identify with him as he worked mostly for us africans.

16. George

lm really touched by this particular saint who had such a big heart. l'd like to leave a similar life.

Yeaterday, our church (St Peter Claver, Nairobi), which is named after this extra ordinary saint celebrated his day.