St. Mary Magdelene Comments

She is called "the Penitent". St. Mary was given the name 'Magdalen' because, though a Jewish girl, she lived in a Gentile town called Magdale, in northern Galilee, and her culture and manners were those of a Gentile. St. Luke records that she was a notorious sinner, and had seven devils removed from her. She was present at Our Lords' Crucifixion, and with Joanna and Mary, the mother of James and Salome, at Jesus' empty tomb. Fourteen ... Continue Reading

1. Charlotte Song
    6 months ago

Thank you for this article. I must point out, however, that at the Second Vatican Council (1960's), the title of "penitent" was removed from Mary's memorial in the calendar of saints, correcting Pope Gregory's (A.D. 591) fusing of Mary Magdalene with other women named Mary in the Gospels, e.g. the woman with the alabaster jar, creating the image of Mary the harlot. Despite the Second Vatican Council's attempt at rehabilitation, this picture of Mary Magdalene persists, instead of the devoted, faithful, and spiritually evolved woman that emerges with an unbiased reading of the Gospels.

2. Christie
    7 months ago

Thank you St. Mary Magdalene for making your story known to me. Thank you for answered prayers. You are my miracle worker.

3. luc rising
    7 months ago

Who p roclaimedy.Mary as a saint? Since when
    did she became a saint.

I think you're covering up and at best hallucinating.
    Roman Catholic Pope proclaimed Mary as a hooker,
    a prostitute in the 4th century.

4. Pamela
    10 months ago

St. Mary Magdalene, on this All Saints Day please hear my prayers for your intercession!

5. maria
    10 months ago

mary pray for myself and my family amen x

6. Michael Varger
    10 months ago

*** THANK YOU *** *** THANK YOU *** *** THANK YOU ***

My Dearest Mary,

This is a simple and brief email to thank you from the bottom of my heart for having won the second miracle of life for my dad from GOD. I received a call from the chief surgeon, Dr Phil Hayward, at midnight telling me that the long & gruelling surgery ( 10 hours ) was a stunning success. I recall moments before he and his team went into the operating theatre that the success of the surgery was now in God's hands.

Mary, how will I ever repay you or thank you enough for having won the second miracle of life for dad from GOD. I thank you a million times over for the intense love you possess for the Risen Lord and the desire to help anyone who comes to you. My life is a living proof of your powerful intercessions in Heaven. We look forward to dad's recovery and the colourful and love filled future, and we'll always thank you for your love and friendship.

WE LOVE YOU

7. Michael Varger
    10 months ago

Dear Mary,

You and I go back a very long time and our friendship has always been close and highly rewarding. My life has been enriched greatly with you in it and I'm grateful for everything you have done for me over the many years of our friendship. If others realized how wonderful you really are than they'll all would want you as their friend.

Mary, as I write this letter my eyes are tearful and my heart deeply troubled, and my soul filled with fear. My father is in Box Hill Hospital (Melbourne) fighting for his life. On Assumption Day he suffered a massive heart attack and we were told there is no hope of him but to prepare for his imminent death. We commenced a prayer vigil at his bedside praying for a miracle and God granted us a miracle and dad's life was saved by a 10 hour surgery that also saved his failed live & kidneys. All was going very well for dad until late last night.

I was phone at home at midnight and advised by the intensive care unit (ICU) that dad will not survive the night. Again we formed a prayer vigil at his bedside and prayed for Divine intervention and God stabilised his condition which surprised the medical staff. They are trying to keep him alive and strong enough for a 7 hour surgery tomorrow to replace his infected heart valve with a new one and to scrape off the fungus around his heart. This will require a miracle and we pray God to grant dad his second miracle tomorrow so that he will survive the surgery which dad only has a slim chance of surviving.

Mary, from past times I can testify to your powerful prayers and unfailing intercessions as you have a very privileged place in the heart of Jesus who will deny you nothing. He revealed his Resurrection to you on the first Easter Sunday two thousand years ago before anyone else and later he revealed himself to his beloved apostles. I beg you from the bottom of my heart to storm heaven for the healing power of Christ to save dad's life tomorrow, and as he lay on the cold operating table may God's angels guide the surgeons hands.

LOVE IS ALL

8. Joseph Mathew

St. Mary Magdeline, please pray for me who is a worse sinner than you are, and deliver me from the vice of justification and cover up of my sins.

9. Michael Varger

My Sweet Mary Magdalene,

Today, Friday 25 January 2013, is my mother's birthday. Mama Stanislava was born in Serbia in a middle of a viscious winter the early hours of Wednesday morning, 25 January 1938, in a small mud house. The village of less than 200 people is located in the mountainous region of Serbia, near the border of Bosnia.

I visited the irreparable mud house in 2009 and the only thing it is fit for are the chooks and a few roosters. I wanted to spend several solid hours alone meditating and soaking up the aura of the sentimentally rich site, a site where my mother breathed her first breath. Out of the eleven born only four lived passed their teens. Death claimed seven of them before they reached their teens due to the lack of medical facilities and the horrors of war and summary executions. Mum's dad and two brothers were forced to dig their graves and shot. In fact, it was NAZI policy to liquidate the male population in partizan dominated areas.

Mama Stanislava survived the war with her three sisters and all three are still alive. Two are living in Serbia and one in Vienna, Austria whereas mum is the only one living in Australia. Life has been very harsh for my mother and she harbours many memories of severe deprivations and mens cruelty to fellow men. My mother managed to survive the many trials and tribulations of life.

We came to Australia to start a new life in 1970 and we've never looked back. This is our home and here is where we want to die and be buried, and covered by Australian soil. What greater gift can a son give his mother for her birthday than to invite you, Mary Magdalene, to pray for my mama Stanislava.

Love is All

10. Justin Atwell Tichiwangana

Beautiful article, though inconclusive. But one underlying fact ST. MARY MAGDALENE IS A LEGEND IN FAITH. May the Lord Almighty continuing inspiring her and US to follow Christ wherever He is. Even at the foot of the Cross, we are there every moment of our lives.

11. Joseph Mathew

St. Mary Magdeline, Pray to the Lord to grant me a penitent heart like yours, so that I may know him more dearly, see him more clearly, and follow him more closely.

12. chet bas

happy feast day St. Mary Magdalene. please help all those women and girls trapped in prostitution. please help them escape that life and give them a second chance

13. Dana Marie (Mary Magdaline)

Today is the Feast of St. Mary Magdaline. I was confirmed in 1971 at St. Francis Xavier Church in St. Louis, MO. Going through the Confirmation process, I was told I needed to choose a patron saint. I chose Mary Magadaline without much thought. At the time she seemed to me to best represent me because she was real and I could identify with her. She was not a perfect woman, but a woman who had challenges and maybe even sin. But Jesus forgave for all of her sins and she became his disciple.

Today also I was scheduled to lecture at Mass this morning, and the main teaching of the word I proclaimed today was the lost sheep and God appointing new shepards to shepard gathered and lost sheep once he reclaimed them. And she has sheppard me many times home to his Church.

I believe in my hearts of hearts - he who is without sin, cast the first stone!!

14. elisabeth

an excellent article.Thank you!

15. William Arrott Jr

Dear Saint Mary Magdalene,

May my devotion to Our Lord approach that of yours.

16. christie

St. Mary Magadalen, one year ago on your feast day, I spent a good hour or so speaking of your goodness, your love and your life to my dying mother. She passed away as I hoped at a time when I was near. She passed away 7 months later. Her slow death gave us, her children many moments of intimate conversations, during which she shared her living faith and her counsels, her reminiscences and her recounts. We were blessed. I thank God for it. St. Mary Magadalen, commend Victoria Gonzales' soul to God. Let the angels minister to her. May she be in the presence of the Blessed Trinity, Mary and Joseph. Amen.

17. Lisa

As you know, the gospels of Mary, Phillip, and Thomas mentioned above are in part of the Catholic bible and the words quoted from those books here DO NOT line up with what the gospels in the Catholic bible say. The apostles would never say to Mary Magdalen, "Jesus loved you more than any other woman." He loved His mother more than any other woman. And Mary Magdalen was not with the apostles and Jesus. The mystics such as Mary of Agreda (whose body is incorrupt) said that the woman stayed together and far behind Jesus and the apostles. And, they took care of the Inns, supplying them with things they had made with their hands so that Jesus and the apostles and Jesus' other followers would have places to stay. The women were not with Jesus all the time. And that includes Mary.

18. Anne

I don't see by what criteria she was sainted. No mention of miracles, unless i missed it.

19. Reverend Mother Sister Jacqueline Corcoran

We are sinners at first, I can remember the times that I was doing things that was not pleasing in The Eyes of God. It was times, was going to churches that, I should not have been going to. I always believed in The Heavenly Father and one thing that I come learn, not every church is teaching the right scripture. I wanted to find Him because, I wanted him in my life and when I did, I found Him in the Catholic Church. I changed the scripture that I was reading, begin the correct practice of having Faith in the Heavenly Father, I started Commion with Him and now, I'm His Bride of Christ and I'm Very happy to do His Will in the Catholic Church.

20. dennis cinco

st. mary magdalene is my patron saint... in fact during the holy week we have her statue procession in our town... i am the fifth generation who received her, for she was given to us from our great great grandfather, i just want to know more about her life, what had happen to her, for i cannot read her real history in the holy bible... for i want to tell my children, and my children's children the story of saint mary magdalene.. thank you... god bless us!