St. Maria Goretti Comments

Born in Corinaldo, Ancona, Italy, on October 16 1890; her farmworker father moved his family to Ferrier di Conca, near Anzio. Her father died of malaria and her mother had to struggle to feed her children. In 1902 an eighteen-year-old neighbor, Alexander, grabbed her from her steps and tried to rape her. When Maria said that she would rather died than submit, Alexander began stabbing her with a knife. As she lay in the hospital, she ... Continue Reading

1. christina

this is my confirmation name

2. jeffrey

I want to express my feeling that i am happy as a catholic. though i am a very sinner in the eyes of God he gives me a lot of inspiration within our community specially in the catholic church. I am surrounded by the holy people(saints) that God keeps reminding me always to struggle and fight for my salvation. saints are big evidence that God was not totally abandoned us ............

3. indra

I think this young girl is very sensible and even though her bravery to speak turned out in death she did the right thing by forgiving the man who stabbed her.I learned a tremendously valuable lesson to forgive people.I really hope that everyone who read this story their hearts was touched and hurt at the same time as me.

4. Klaudia

This saint truley inspired me. I picked her for my saint report. She is the perfect role model for all young girls to look up to. Forgiveness and love. St. Maria Goretti pray for us !

5. Nikki

I think maria goretti was a very good person. She forgave alessandro Serenelli and she died as a marty. because he stabbed her 14 times. I think she is a saint we can all look up to and can follow in our years to come

6. Nnama Malachy

St. Maria is my love. I admire her for purity. She is a model. Infact i love everything about her including her gentleness. Maria i love u

7. zan

I belong to a group named after St. Maria Goretti. After reading this story I am very proud to represent her name and beliefs.

8. gabi

"Alexander was there in the St. Peter's crowd to celebrate her canonization" Is this piece of information correct. I have recently watched a documentary on EWTN which indicated that he was not there. Please, can anyone verify?

9. Sabina

My older sister is quite the devotee of Maria Goretti, has a picture of this saint hanging on her bedroom wall and I learned of her when I was a child.

Frankly, I have always been puzzled by the story of Maria Goretti. Of course, rape is a horrible crime to be inflicted upon a woman but I would rather be raped than dead. If I were Maria Goretti, I would have chosen life knowing that "purity" does not rely upon the presence of a membrane.

P.S. As you can see by my name, I was named after a "virgin/martyr" but I don't want to be either of those things! ;)

10. Anna

wat an inspirering story! Im going to take that as my conformation name! ;]

11. dharry

inspiring story...
    nice and great....

12. Jaylah

maria is very good for gurls in the whole world so that everybody that goes through evryday

13. miquela

i admire her and i am picking her for my confirmation saint name.i think maria was brave and smart.she just got in the hands at the wrong time.i admire her because she forgave the man who tried to rape her and killed her.maria will always be remembered by many people including me.

14. Dave Sansonetti

St. Maria, pray for my daughters and all teenagers.

15. lily

she is such a good person.
    She definatly deserved to be a saint
    I LOVE YOU SAINT MARIA GORETTI

16. Rebecca

Well St. Maria Goretti died on July 6th, 1902, just putting that out there

17. nicoletta

I love her she is such a strong women

18. lauren

the name of the boy who killed her is alessandro not trying to b mean or anything but it is.... Peace out!

19. isabella

hi wow this is a lot of help we have to dress up as them and say info but that is the saint they chose for me...............

20. Elena

I am most inspired by how St. Maria was able to forgive the man who assaulted her - and how her mother, God Bless her, did so also.

Especially since I am now in a situation where I am struggling to forgive a man who assaulted someone whom I love dearly; it's not the easiest of things to do and requires a supernatural grace.

I feel blessed, however, in that I have both the richness of the traditions of the Catholic Church, and the richness found in scripture, to strengthen and bear me up during this time. My faith is strong, and it is through this gift of faith that I will manage to forgive this man. I pray that he, too, may one day find that Faith in Christ will change his life.

Thanks be to God.