St. Maria Goretti Comments

Born in Corinaldo, Ancona, Italy, on October 16 1890; her farmworker father moved his family to Ferrier di Conca, near Anzio. Her father died of malaria and her mother had to struggle to feed her children. In 1902 an eighteen-year-old neighbor, Alexander, grabbed her from her steps and tried to rape her. When Maria said that she would rather died than submit, Alexander began stabbing her with a knife. As she lay in the hospital, she ... Continue Reading

1. Lisa

I, as many of you also chose Maria Goretti for my confirmation name. when I had many difficult decisions to make in my life about certain things, I thank her and God for giving me the strength to make the correct pure decision. I have faultered, but always strive to do better. it's funny how my life intertwines with hers. I worked at a group home with children who were victims of molestation and other abuse issues. i did this for 12 years. It was the most fulfilling job I ever had.

2. Amber Joe

oh maria you are so kind you a so lucky to be a saint and you defantly dsir it

3. Akanisi Fatafehi

I took on her name wen I was baptised and she has been an inspiration to me and also my daughter has also taken up her name. She is a simple lass and full of purity. She is a real role model.

4. claire

when i was choosing my confirmation name last year i had no idea who to pick. i heard st maria's story and just knew she was the right choice. i had a close personal friend who was a rape victim when she was only 15 and this story gave both of us the strength to get through it together. i am unbelievebly glad to have her as my confirmation name. i also hope to follow in her footsteps and remain a virgin until marriage.

5. pedro ampofo

pray for us holy virgin

what a touching story

6. sydney

hi im sydney i am eight and i want to tell u how i always try to forgive but that one marria did i don`t know if i could do that . for saints day i was st.marria and we had to write about her i had to look here and it is sad . byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

7. JessicaTheAwsome

St.MariaGoretti Such a beautiful and inspiring story! But at the same time Very sad :( this is for all the woman who get reaped never lose hoope because St.Maria is always their with you to help and support yhu! :) <3

8. mariya celina

i searched coz i hd a test and i luv 2 knw mre abt her

9. Maura C.

Saint. Maria Goretti is my patron saint, I chose her when I had my confirmation and first communion, I guess when I was little I didn't really realize just how important and inspiring she was, now that I'm older and have read about her, I better understand how important she is in my life. I decided along time ago to stay pure until marriage, not only because I am a Catholic, but because I realize how important it is and how we should always fight to protect it; and stay pure out of love of God. It is a struggle in today's society but it is so important, and I think everyone, children, teens, and adults should read her story and really understand how important our purity is. I'm only 18 and I know it will be very difficult but I know it will all be worth it in the end. Saint Maria Goretti, Pray for us.

10. Joslyn

I am an 8th grader getting confirmed this year in May! I am excited to be getting confirmed and I have chosen St. Maria Goretti as my patron saint. When I first found this story, its purpose for me was to receive information about her for my confirmation project. Now, its purpose is different for me. I will forever hold this story in my heart and whenever I am in need of help during these related, or similar, times I will ask for her help and for her bravery and wisdom.

11. Christina

I am writing a report for my Confirmation, I am an adult entering into the Catholic Faith. On of the things that I have struggled with my whole life was truly forgiving those who have wronged me in my life. On the sufface it may seem as if I have forgiven, but I still feel frustration and anger deep inside. When I read this story, I thought to myself, how petty my issues were compared to this of a 12 year old child. She graciously forgave Alexander on her death bed he put her in. And with out remorce for so many years she again came to him and reassured him he was forgiven. Which in turn changed his life. Now with her story she can change so many. It is my wish to have the gift of forgivness on the sufface and deep down inside. Thank you Maria you truly are an inspiration to so many.

12. Obinna Akalonu

I love you St. Maria Goretti! Please pray for me and all other brethens of youthful age that we may follow by your example. Amen.

13. Katy

I fell in love with St. Maria Goretti's story when I was about nine years old. I read a book about saints and her story really left an impression. I was really amazed by her devotion to God and purity, and by her incredible forgiveness. When I was twelve, I decided that I was going to remain abstinent until I married, and I definitely believe that Maria Goretti was largely my inspiration in making that decision. Though she was very young and uneducated, she showed incredible love for God, as well as for her murderer!

I'm fourteen years old now, beginning the process of Confirmation preparation, and naturally, I'm choosing Maria Goretti as my saint. She's a great role model, and she is a remarkable inspiration for young people today who may be confused about love and sex in such an oversexed society. She teaches us a great lesson about what it means to truly love God, to the point that you can forgive such a horrible act from one of His children. Bless you, St. Maria Goretti!

14. Natasha Maria Lamb

My name as you can see above is Natasha Maria. I'm doing my confirmation this year and choosing a saints name wasn't so hard for me. But I thought, it would be nice to know what she was like, and she sounds like an amazing a brave person, I'm gland I have her name as my Birth name and Conformation name.

15. justine may

nice to know the story of st.maria goretti

16. Kelly

I read her story while researching young female saints for a report....

She is my favorite Saint and I am taking her for my Confirmation Name...

Thanks for your bravery Maria Goretti....

17. john

She was so amazing!! ;)) She is one of my patroness and prayer partner in heaven ;)) O St. Maria Goretti Help me and teach me on how to touch the lives of the youth today ;)) To God be the glory!!! ;))

18. maryam

what this girl did none of us could do she gave her life for purity and didnt want to give up her virginity this is something every girl of every age should look up to.

19. Catalina

This story was amazing! :) SO SAD THOUGH! :/

20. christina

this is my confirmation name