St. Ignatius of Antioch Comments

"I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth. He who died in place of us is the one object of my quest. He who rose for our sakes is my one desire." The second Bishop of Antioch, Syria, this disciple of the beloved Disciple John was consecrated Bishop around the year 69 by the Apostle Peter, the first Pope. A holy man who was deeply loved by the Christian faithful, he always made it his special care to defend ... Continue Reading

1. Danilo

RESPONSE TO: Jake January 20th, 2011 9:11 am
    Hi Jake, I just wanted to clear two things up. I really don't believe that Januario was trying to upset or offend anyone by his remarks. Actually, even Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman once said, “To be deep in history, is to cease to be Protestant.” What is meant here by both Januario and Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman is that when one reads the Early Church Fathers and their writings, it is quite undeniable that they were Catholic and held to Catholic teachings. It's also true that some would and could stray away from the Faith and unfortunately fall into heresy, however some repented and came back to the Church. Another thing I wanted to note apart from the early Church being Catholic (the same Catholic Church of today) is that Catholicism is NOT just another "denomination" of Protestantism. Unfortunately after the rise of Protestantism in the 16th century, all sorts of various groups with various beliefs began to emerge causing a split even among Protestantism itself. I'm sure you know this but I wanted to note that Catholicism is absolutely not a "denomination" because we are not Protestant.

2. Christine Harlan

A very courageous man, may we follow his example in our simple lives.

3. Jake

RESPONSE TO:

Januario Ortega
    October 17th, 2009 8:06 pm

"WOW!!! May I need to say more... This should be good enough for any protestant to convert to Catholicism."
    ______________

May I call you out this statement, and question what you mean. I am not Roman Catholic and I respect Ignatius of Anitoch just as much as you brother. How does being Roman Catholic make me better as a follower of Christ, or able to understand the martyrdom of Ignatius anymore? My friend, I have let God have me, and recognize the depravity of my existence as a human being with the necessity for the divinity of God in my life. What do you see in negative light about Protestantism that supersedes the negative aspects of Roman Catholicism over the year? I also understand Catholicism was all that existed until Martin Luther came along in the 1500s, and that John Wesley was not until two hundred years later as well. But you cannot deny the great men of God they were, even in their brokenness.

However, I see no reason that the valiant, brave death of a martyr, and one of many great martyrs in the first two hundred years of Christianity, would make me "convert" to a different "denomination", when Christ taught us to love God and love people. Everything else will fall under that premise. Ignatius understood the victory of death by Christ, and in that he found his courage to meet death head on.

All the same, you are my brother in Christ Januario, and I respond out of mere curiosity.

Either way, Ignatius of Antioch was a great man of God, and I will continue to study and look into his life with respect and holiness.

Blessings on you.

4. Adewunmi Philip

st. ignatius is a role model for all Christians, and we should continuously imitate that, and have it at the back of our minds, as a good and practising catholics, we must be ready to sacrifice; our lives, time,energy,resources et all for Jesus Christ' sake and His church, PER OMNIA SECULA SAECULORUM at all times.may God help us to practice it.

5. chuka okolo

the culmination of love 4 christ jesus lies more in what we can offer him in return 4 the death which,4 our sake he willingly offered on the cross at golgotha.st. ignatius understood this well and,he applied it heartily.praise God!

6. Rachel Vargo

This was a powerful reading today. I enjoyed each word and understand in my heart his courageous stand. We all need to have this much belief and make sure that it is carried on with actions and words. Start within your families and watch how it will continue.

7. ENGR HERMY DEL ROSARIO JR

how i wish that every catholic faithful will read the life of Christ followers, they will not be misled by some teachings propagating themselves as god!

8. C'tine

i too desire such a happy and beautiful death. i know that death is supposed to be the most joyous occasion in one's eternal existence. i so want to go back home. more hardwork towards perfection, complete all the checklist of the tasks that the Father has assigned to you even before He created your soul.... and then... back home, home sweet home. my tears always flow from my eyes which are raised up to heaven whenever i think of my ultimate homecoming... how good is the Father... even the word 'good' is far far far far far far insufficient to describe the His goodness, no human languages can ever describe God. now i understand what it means: no human on earth knows the true name of God.

9. mattie starz

He lead a great example

10. Dario Caylan

the st. has shown his great faith and love as good catholic. it reminds us to be more authentic in our actions of faith to others and help them to be more faithful to their faith also.

11. Januario Ortega

12. Teagan Kinney

i got to say, that was really brave of all the saints to sacrefice their self to god.I will like to do that when im older.

13. Linda/Bill Brophy

important martyr in the early days of Church history - first one to use the word Catholic and such a courageous, holy man!

14. Joan

It doezn't tell me wat he'z the patron saint of...

15. Elisa Martinez

my brother was born on the 17 of October it is helpful to know that Ignatius was very brave and was willing to die for his faith. We are lucky to be able to say we believe in Christ without having to be condemned to death.