St. Brigid of Ireland Comments

Brigid was probably born at Faughart near Dundalk, Louth, Ireland. Her parents were baptized by St. Patrick, with whom she developed a close friendship. According to legend, her father was Dubhthach, an Irish chieftain of Lienster, and her mother, Brocca, was a slave at his court. Even as a young girl she evinced an interest for a religious life and took the veil in her youth from St. Macaille at Croghan and probably was professed by St. Mel of ... Continue Reading

1. sAiNt LoVeR <3

Luvvv this Gurl!!!

2. Shana

Saint Brigid is my conformation saint! BEST SAINT EVER!!! :)

3. Friend of Bridget

Thank you Barry for defending St. Bridget authenticity.

4. Catholic

Saint Brigid of Ireland, pray for us!

5. Chandra

Thank you for posting this information on Saint Brigid. I was looking for readings specific to her feast day. This I have not yet found. Thank you for her history.

6. Barry

Poor Stephen Rose left a comment above which is far from factual. There were indeed several Bridget's Brigid's going back to pagan times but there was absolutely a Saint called Bridget and despite the usual difficulties in establishing full and accurate details the sheer tradition alone, Catholic tradition, which exists is testimony to the esteem Bridget has in the hearts of Irish men and women. According to some all that Christians and Catholics did in Ireland was hijack everything pagan. Of course there was Christianizing of the pagan traditions. Missioners adapt to the situations they find themselves in. But the Christians did exist as people too you know. Very good people. Don't take my word for it. Their heroic lives and example won over the Irish to God. That is your evidence. Please God you will meet St. Bridget in Heaven Stephen one day as we all hope to. I'm quite sure she will forgive you :-) Do you actually think she was created by the catholic church and that it just caught on? That people just confused her with other women of the same name from pagan times? Give real believers in anything some credit Stephen. With respect I say she has far more credibility than your comments. Open your heart and your mind. I will pray for you. Many Young people are taking her as their Confirmation name this year. Her Saintly example lives on.

7. kennedy

OMG i love saint b! shes def my confermation name!

8. Kelly

I love saint bridget!!! Thanks mom for showing me her. and she is definitly my confirmation name!!! BRIDGET <3

9. hanna

i am choosing her for my saint for when i make my confirmation but i want to know more i only know a little and to choose her i have to know alot

10. cat r

she rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Steven Rose

St. Brigid, as a person, has never actually been proven to exist. Now, there was a Brigid who ran the monestary at Kildare, which is the potential connection to the saint, but it seems to me that the "Saint Brigid" and the ancient Irish Goddess referred to as "Brigit" or ''exalted one" were fused together when the Roman Church arrived in Ireland. The Roman Church have been closing St. Brigid Churches all over, including in Ottawa Canada, San Fransisco and New York City.

She's actually known for her protection of women as much as for her enormous heart and legendary hospitality. There is no proof she ever met St. Patrick, most likely because the real Patrick was a Christian evangelist, not a Catholic Bishop. Stories abound wher St. Brigid is at odds with St. Patrick usually in allegories of patriarch over matriarchy.

12. Maureen

is she the same as the other irish st bridget?

13. emily

that was very helpful thank you so much . omg she is awesome thankyou sooooooooooooooo much

14. Brigid

So proud to be named after her! I hope that I too can be known for my compassionate heart :)

15. vampire luver

hi thanks got confirmation coming up and this site was great for looking up my saint saint Bridget of Ireland. thanks a lot! :-P

16. katrenaM

a fitting page for a beautiful saint

17. Hannah

This website helped me so much with my confirmation mission. Thank you so much, this website was so beneficial.

18. Bethanie

I am also being Confirmed into the Church and i am honored to be taken in by Saint Brigid of Ireland.

19. Chandra Leigh

I too, am very taken in by this saint. Thank you

20. Emily

She is a wonderful saint and now inspires me!