St. Rose Philippine Duchesne Comments

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, Virgin (Feast day - November 18) Born in Grenoble, France, in 1769, Rose joined the Society of the Sacred Heart. In 1818, when she was forty-nine years old, Rose was sent to the United States. She founded a boarding school for daughters of pioneers near St. Louis and opened the first free school west of the Missouri. At the age of seventy-one, she began a school for Indians, who soon came to call her "the woman ... Continue Reading

1. Robert Lawrence
    9 months ago

Patronage: opposition of Church authorities, diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau Missouri

2. Jennifer DuChesne

It is interesting that being a catholic it took a google search on my families last name to find a St Rose Philippine. She inspires us to give in true humility, and charity to others no matter what the circumstance, or what color they may be, or what god they may worship. To bring faith, love and God to people under dangerous and at times dire circumstances is an act of true faith.

3. Joseph Mathew

St. Rose Philippine, please pray for us to serve others sincerely and lovingly.

4. ck

i really need to know what she is patron of!
    i have gotten opposition of the church that doesnt seem right please update your article with the patron saint!

5. jay ess

this an added comment, not for publication:
    Hopefully wasn’t too personal, about artist, maybe just his style – much ado about nothing? (Still, St Rose in his depiction comes across as a ‘mean’ personality or something) –
    just to say, have no idea why the typed characters came out they way they did, happens on rare occasions on some sites – as a rule when keyboard messages, for e-mail or Facebook whatever, “WYSIWYG” compared to this – something about ‘markup language’(?) if something in your settings should this be looked into? -- just an Internet curiosity, can ask around also if you know explanation can let me know –
    wishing you good luck in your life & in your work,
    James Shesko (“jay ess”) (Knights of Columbus Council 284) – Quebec Canada

6. alex

I always use this website for my reserch i love it!

7. jay ess

from my experience you maybe don’t read these, respond to them at least; but a chance to say –
    tomorrow feast-day of St. Rose Duchesne – [I mean – ever-lovin SNAFU, about calendars – in americancatholic.org (Franciscans) it’s on Sunday, according to you, last Fri.]
    in google-search, pictures, came across cartoon, “Saints: Fun Facts”, by John Sheppard, for your site (81.jpg) May I say a terrible drawing, even a caricature is supposed to keep something of person’s nature, this one comes across as almost grotesque!
    2 notes, just added –
    accessed this page &
    - voilà the picture in question is right there. as well as traditional portrait.
    - not alone, Fr James Doran, yesterday post, says same thing
    Tell this John to take a drawing course -- this picture, if anything, would scare kids!, instead of getting their interest. (I’m sure St Rose forgives you, of course she does she’s a saint!) Bye, J.S. Quebec Canada

8. Dan

I attended her Canonization in Rome back in 1988. I was in the Navy and my ship was in port near Rome. I went on a weekend tour to Rome, and we found out there was going to be a canonization on Sunday. Another sailor and I snuck in since we had no tickets, and saw the beautiful mass with JPII. It was quite an experience. I've never forgotten about this Saint because of that mass.

9. Fr James Doran

I wish you had more attractive illustrations of the saints as these seem grotesque caricatures. It is as if you do not take the saints seriously.

10. Mark

I wish they would put what they are the patron saint of for saint of the day.

11. christie

Today, 18th November is the dedication of the basilicas of Saints Peter and Paul in Rome, according to the Catholic calendar. We are reminded in the Gospel reading of Jesus who was incensed and angered with the irreverent behaviour of traders, money changers and sellers at the Holy Temple of Jerusalem. When we enter the church, let us remember how sacred and holy is God's abode. Dear Jesus, we love you dearlyl, help all of us to pray reverently in your Holy presence. Help us remember your real presence in the Tabernacle, your Holy Body and Blood. Dear Jesus, today Friday, is the end of the week, for which I have much to be grateful, and thankful. Each and every day was fruitful and bore much success. Help me to remember this when I feel I have not done enough. Thank you Dear Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

12. Ryosuke

French Revolution drived her out to US. The Revolution was for freedom against tyranny.
    But what was it for faithful catholics? Did God put her to the test? By the way, she did not disriminate between White and other. At that time, she was extraordinary female regarding this fact. Thanks.

13. Joseph Mathew

DearSt. Rose Philippine Duschesne, please pray for us to see the face of God in our bretheren, as you did. Thank you!

14. christie

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, patron saint of American Indians, prominent member of the society of the Sacred Heart, pray for all minority ethnic peoples. Pray for us to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, that His love may touch our hearts, that we may be good, forgiving, loving and angelic. Pray for us when we have self doubt. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy of us. Sweet Heart of Jesus be thou my love. That I may love Thee daily more and more. Amen

15. Roy Peter

Maybe, they got there in France to translate English - Tagalog.

16. Rebbeca

Saint Philippine Rose also partnered with Madeleine Sophie Barat to create a sacred heart community.

17. Joseph

Why is "St.rose died in 1852" a fun fact?

And why is there not more info on her, she did not even get a full page.

18. julia

wt is her parton saint ?

19. Edward Kiwanuka

I have heard of a saint called Egma or Edgma but have failed to find his name anywhere. Could anyone enlighten me about that saint? Thank you very much

20. Jim Yankovich

Local legend has it that the town of Duchesne,UT is named for her. Is there any record of her, or members of her order ministering to the Ute Indians of that area?